The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What do you need to fish?
Not much, a rod, a reel with line and some flies. 69 74.19%
One more thing, a vest to hold all my stuff. 31 33.33%
And waders with some old shoes. 27 29.03%
I have my good wading shoes too. 34 36.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 01:42 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you need to fish?

I try not to take too much on a fishing trip. However the selction process before I leave my place. Well, that's an entirely different story...
Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Dave, I think it was less about the poll's writing and more about me failing in applying my sometimes absent ability to read and use common sense. I'm very tempted to switch from a vest to a chestpack or sling for traveling's sake, but I do like my vest, as it holds my phone/camera in its waterproof case, my leaders, all my fly boxes, my tippet spools, my forceps, clippers, reel lube, zap-a-gap, indicators, and knife. The vest is less about the amount of stuff I carry, which isn't that much, but instead the fact that it makes what I need available and keeps each item in the place that I expect it to be, which speeds up time between casts after I lose or change flies, which I think is very important :P
cjottawa likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-10-2011, 03:07 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, you've pretty much pointed out the reasons why, after all this time, I'm considering a vest. Even though I don't carry much, there would be a place for what I take with me.
There is the posiblity I'll end up filling the extra room with more stuff...

Dave
Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

not much + some beef jerky. SORTED

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 PM

bennypapa is on a distinguished road

Don't forget the sandwich!
cjottawa likes this.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM

cjottawa is on a distinguished road

Resurrecting an old thread here but one that's been on my mind.

I use a Patagonia Stealth Atom sling bag to carry all my gear. In the sling bag:
I'm also wearing or carrying a ball cap, polarized sunglasses, cell phone, waders, wading boots, and rod(s).

The sling bag is fairly small but contains all the accessories I need; I grab it and my Simms Taco bag that holds my waders, boots and rod case, and I'm good to hit the water.

I've tried a chest/backpack combo but one big downside is you can't wear it around town without looking odd. The sling bag doesn't have that problem. If I don't need waders or wading boots, I ditch the taco bag and it's just the sling and a rod.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by cjottawa; 02-02-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I carry as much as I possibly can because I hate being without something when the situation arises. I carry a Fishpond guide pack stuffed pretty full. However, I like to wear as little as possible. Wet wading in shorts and shoes is blissful... but when it gets cold, I wear as much as I have to in order to be warm.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

So i have it all waders,vest,wading boots,rods reels, flies.But when it comes down to it i can really get by with a rod,reel,line and some flies depending on how far it is to walk and carry.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

when I was alot younger..........stick*....string....hook....bug.. ..
*stick was optional......

now that I am alot older........15 rods......6 reels.....4 fly boxes.....vest.......pack....waders....boots.....t ent......cot......4x4.....well stocked fly tying station.......EYEGLASSES!!!!!.....and a little bourbon and spring water...in case of snake bite!!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Last edited by yonder; 11-21-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 AM

sean_k is on a distinguished road

As much gear as I may have I always find myself going as bare bone as the situation allows. A couple flys and a rod is more than suffeciant at times.