The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What do you need to fish?
Not much, a rod, a reel with line and some flies. 69 74.19%
One more thing, a vest to hold all my stuff. 31 33.33%
And waders with some old shoes. 27 29.03%
I have my good wading shoes too. 34 36.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 02:11 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do you need to fish?

Another minimalist. On a good day I can fit everything I need in the top pockets of a BDU top, and that includes a box of coffin nail.

That's for the small streams I know well.
Small fly box of wets, soft hackles and nymphs.
1 spool tippet
1 extra leader
nippers on a reel
maybe knee high "muck boots".

The farther I get from that scenario I get, the more I carry. Funny thing is I use my vest the way most people use gear bags, and it stays in the car.

Problem I have with vests and wading jackets is that they all seem to have too many of the wrong pockets in all the right places and two few of the right pockets in the right places
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

At the least a rod, reel, and a couple flies. You can always wet wade. You have the rest of your life to collect every single little single thing that comes with fly fishing.

Thanks
Randy
Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 AM

bmvwj is on a distinguished road

fishing is all about simplicity and being natural. Fishing is about a rod, line and fly. Three things I always carry with me. I rarely carry a reel. Tenkara fishing
Old 04-05-2013, 05:03 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I use a fishing bag, carried like a satchel, cross shoulder. Usually holds flies, knife, water bottle, leader and tippet material, granola bar, or maybe little flask of scotch.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

My Rod,and Reel. A spool of 12lb mono for my bass tippet, and a small spool of 4x tippet to add for trout. Ceps, clippers, pocket knife, and big knife attached to the outside of the bag incase of a run in with the methhead zombies that like to hang out around my lake. One fly box with bass flies, one with trout and carp flies. And a head lamp cause I fish in the dark a lot. And last but not least my phone/camera, my license. All in a small sling bag. I wet wade everywhere in shorts, and wading shoes. Most of my fishing is bass and I carry my 8wt, but I always have a 6wt in the car as a back up. And have had to use it as such, so it always goes along. I used to wear a vest and it just got so hot in the summer and never fit well over my jacket in the spring and fall. The sling bag is lite and comfortable and makes changing flies a breeze.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Everything. Every. Dog. Gone. Thing. I feel like a walking box store. This past year, I did a lot more wet wading- it gets hot here, and it actually feels good to cool my feet off. I'm also fishing more smaller (less crowded) streams. Next year I'll try shoving a few items in my CamelBak for a lighter load.

CAB
Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

A clean flowing river or stream.

Rick
Old 10-26-2013, 07:47 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

mono and a fly, dont even have to have rod/reel
fly_guy12955 and ctshooter like this.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:25 AM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about

What he said

A string a hook and the desire
Old 11-22-2013, 04:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

If it can't go into a couple of shirt pockets or on a short lanyard clipped to my shirt it isn't coming. The one thing that is coming is a 100 pound 11 year old Yellow Lab.

He has to do his own walking.
fae
milt spawn and cab like this.