The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Should the forum have a Photography Sub Forum
YES 27 81.82%
NO 3 9.09%
Why??? 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 11:26 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Should the forum have a Photography Catagory

I post this is light of the activity about photography recently, I think it would be great to put all the threads in one place and easy for new comers to find info about photographing while out fishing. What say you.

MIke
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Should the forum have a Photography Catagory

I think a lot of fly fisherman also take photos so this is appropriate for this forum.
We could have specific threads like how to take the glory shot without hurting the fish, discussions on how to tell if the fish is in good enough shape for the glory shot, the current threads (show us your photos, and photo discussion) could be moved under this catagory, and we could even put together a waterproof camera FAQ so we don't have to resurface that thread every couple months.

d
fredaevans likes this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:47 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
I think a lot of fly fisherman also take photos so this is appropriate for this forum.
We could have specific threads like how to take the glory shot without hurting the fish, discussions on how to tell if the fish is in good enough shape for the glory shot, the current threads (show us your photos, and photo discussion) could be moved under this catagory, and we could even put together a waterproof camera FAQ so we don't have to resurface that thread every couple months.

d
exactly what I was thinking, by putting the current threads in aeasy to find spot. for sure like the glory shot does and dont idea too.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I'm coming to digital photography late in the came, as I still love slides; so I would love to see a photo category so I could learn from other angler/photographers.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I give this idea 5 thumbs up.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Everyone,

Adding a dedicated forum is beyond my scope of ability however what I can do at this time is take the Photo Chat Thread and the seasonal Theme thread and Sticky them in the Lodge Den.

The Lodge forums are the traditional location for all topics other than those directly related to tackle,, cast, tying, and technique, so even if we created a Photo Forum people would have to go looking in the Lodge Den forums to find it. In other words I don't see a marked improvement in a new forum.

The reason I posted a Photography Chat thread was an effort to cut down on the text replies to the Show Us Your Photography thread. That thread has been very popular but has also become so overrun with chat that members sometimes have to scroll several pages to find the pictures. I would love to go to that thread and remove all of the text post so that when you visited the thread beginning on page one and scrolled through you would find nothing but images. This would be a huge task and would be somewhat unfair as it would remove post made by many members.

I will stick the threads and ask that we would try to keep chat and sample photos on the chat thread and place collections of pictures that we wish to display to the membership on the Photo thread. If we went that route I could then begin moving 'new text replies' to the chat thread and send to posters a request that they reply in text to the chat thread and explain why in my message.

Would that suffice for a start?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 PM

sounds good to me, I have dealt with threads in the way your tlaking about a photo only thread, its almost impossible to keep questions out o fit, But it can be done.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:05 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be useful if we had a photography section as we have a General Forum, Fly Tying, Alaska and etc. But neither do we need to see the forum become so rigid that a person may be chastised for asking a question in the wrong sub-group. A subcategory with Ard's latest photo thread would be appropriate along with other categories such as FAQ, Waterproof, SLR and photo settings.

Would probably leave the member pics and rainbow/brown/brookie photo threads where they are now. Also believe these decisions should be made by the members active in the photo threads with Ard leading the discussions. (not my intent to put you on the spot Ard)

This should still leave room for someone to post pics and stories or even a question about a camera in the general discussion and if deemed appropriate a moderator can move its location.

Only sharing my thoughts and not intended to offend anyone.

Dave
Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I do not see a need to create a category for photography. Yes, a lot of fisherman carry point and shoot camera's and some are probably a more serious about photography, and some very serious. But this is still a fly fishing forum site. How much photography talk do you want to see here? Technical details about DSLR features, about lens speeds and macro ring lights? Because I know avid photographers are as serious about their hobby as as fly fishers about all the stuff we are serious about (just look at all the categories here!), and I don't see this forum going there. Not that I would care if it did, I just think that if you really want to learn about photography, those forums and resources are already numerous online.

Stickies threads to share advice and ask questions, show off fish, share photography and have a themed thread...I think these are all great ideas that I would follow.

My 2 cents....you asked!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM

bennypapa is on a distinguished road

I think photo forum would be great.