The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Please select a response for each option
Yes I would be interested in attending 18 47.37%
Not interested 3 7.89%
The location would be the most important factor for my participation 21 55.26%
Timing (as in dates) would be my biggest concern with attendance 6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A First Annual NAFFF Conference / Meeting;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I will - for sure!

I've got a former colleague; ex-rodeo cowboy, now President of a major Vaccine company here in the US, who hails from Missoula. He says that there's some great trout fishing right there around Missoula!

Pocono
Oh, there is Allan. No doubt about it, I am spoiled, it's just fun to get away sometimes and Chico is so fun and the area so great.

But Missoula could be a great base for the gathering too. It's known as Five Valleys because Missoula sits along the Clark Fork River, within a 15 mile radius from the center of town, The Blackfoot and Bitterroot enter it. A smaller tributary, Rattlesnake Creek enters the Clark Fork right in town (nice little stream that headwaters in the wilderness on the edge of town). 20 miles East up I90, Rock Creek comes in. So you have three major rivers to float, plus wading on Rock Ck, the Bitterroot and Blackfoot are fun wading too. The Missouri - world's largest "spring creek" is an hour and half away. Some lesser known streams in the area too. Missoula is a good sized town with lots of amenities from camping to cheap hotels to B&B.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Oh, there is Allan. No doubt about it, I am spoiled, it's just fun to get away sometimes and Chico is so fun and the area so great.

But Missoula could be a great base for the gathering too. It's known as Five Valleys because Missoula sits along the Clark Fork River, within a 15 mile radius from the center of town, The Blackfoot and Bitterroot enter it. A smaller tributary, Rattlesnake Creek enters the Clark Fork right in town (nice little stream that headwaters in the wilderness on the edge of town). 20 miles East up I90, Rock Creek comes in. So you have three major rivers to float, plus wading on Rock Ck, the Bitterroot and Blackfoot are fun wading too. The Missouri - world's largest "spring creek" is an hour and half away. Some lesser known streams in the area too. Missoula is a good sized town with lots of amenities from camping to cheap hotels to B&B.
Dean: I agree Missoula or the Yellowstone area would be a good location for a meet, either one would work. Another good location would be to fish the Missouri below Holter Dam to Cascade, MT (30 miles). It has some great fishing and has something like 10 campgrounds right along the river and that section offers several public boat ramps for those that would like to float.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:49 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Dean: I agree Missoula or the Yellowstone area would be a good location for a meet, either one would work. Another good location would be to fish the Missouri below Holter Dam to Cascade, MT (30 miles). It has some great fishing and has something like 10 campgrounds right along the river and that section offers several public boat ramps for those that would like to float.
I was thinking about it more, the only reason I didn't mention Missoula initially was that I didn't want to be the homer. But the more I think about it, it would be a good locale. The only problem with the Missouri area is that it is the only game "in town" really and it almost has to be floated. Like I mentioned, it is not too far from Missoula, it is a day trip option - and a damn good one - you can make it back to town by evening.

I would guess that the Holiday Inn Downtown might offer a discount rate if a certain number of rooms where guaranteed. There are a lot of local businesses here that do that kind of thing, Missoula prides itself on this sort of thing. We have a good airport, but Spokane is bigger and about 100 miles of beautiful mountain commute on I90. And as I mentioned, there is a lot of variety of fishing in very close proximity. There are four full service fly shops, one of them is an Orvis endorsed, if that matters to anyone.

We have a few other Missoula members, and then lots of Bozeman members too. I for one would be glad to help out with hosting opportunity and leg work around town - talk to hotels, fly shops, etc. if this thing gets off the ground. Ard, feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss any of this.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm just catching up on all the comments at this time, the thread will be live until mid February and then we'll get down to the brass tax.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

West Yellowstone is nice because it has so many motel rooms, down side is that (for what you get) it's expensive - and crowded.. by Montana standards

Great rivers not too far away, it can be hard to get in/out of the park with crowds.

Other possibles (all small towns):
  • Ennis
  • Twin Bridges
  • Dillon
  • Livingston
  • Three Forks
All are pretty close to a lot of water. Depends on how many total went. Looking on a map, you can see what I mean

Missoula.. doesn't have as much 'small' water, that I prefer.. but I don't know it that well, but all the amenities are there. At least 2 nice rivers to float, Rock Creek and even Lolo - all within spiting distance
Old 12-19-2011, 08:42 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Consider returning to your "roots" Ard. As we both know, Pa., has some fine trout fishing.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
West Yellowstone is nice because it has so many motel rooms, down side is that (for what you get) it's expensive - and crowded.. by Montana standards

Great rivers not too far away, it can be hard to get in/out of the park with crowds.

Other possibles (all small towns):
  • Ennis
  • Twin Bridges
  • Dillon
  • Livingston
  • Three Forks
All are pretty close to a lot of water. Depends on how many total went. Looking on a map, you can see what I mean

Missoula.. doesn't have as much 'small' water, that I prefer.. but I don't know it that well, but all the amenities are there. At least 2 nice rivers to float, Rock Creek and even Lolo - all within spiting distance
Ennis and Dillon, Twin Bridges and Sheridan...these are a few of my favorite things!

As Ard said, we'll wait and see if this idea gets traction, but for a smaller sized gathering TB or Dillon would be a lot of fun.

I have to ask, Dave, what do you consider "small"? I am almost strictly a wade fisherman myself and there are dozens of great stretches. I'd be glad to take you somewhere away from the shop recommended places.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:41 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

In the Ennis-TB-Dillon area.. I was listing those for the water available.. People would have to be lodging more spread out.. unlike Missoula or West Yellowstone

Missoula to me.. is mostly the Clark Fork and Bitterroot

Rock Creek is about as large as I like.. and that's pushing it .. lol

But, I do have a Hyde Pro, and like to float the Yellowstone, Madison and Missouri occasionaly.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
In the Ennis-TB-Dillon area.. I was listing those for the water available.. People would have to be lodging more spread out.. unlike Missoula or West Yellowstone

Missoula to me.. is mostly the Clark Fork and Bitterroot

Rock Creek is about as large as I like.. and that's pushing it .. lol

But, I do have a Hyde Pro, and like to float the Yellowstone, Madison and Missouri occasionaly.
I've got a couple different streams for you that I cannot divulge on the World Wide Web. One river was actually "tagged" in one of the glossy mags last year and man, it was over-run this past summer! By next year, I hope it's back to normal.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:28 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Just a thought, we might want to consider a stillwater for a get together, camping and trailer capability, cabins in some places, people can fish from shore or float it, more of a group get together rather then spreading out along a river and you can often get a "group campsite" for a reasonable rate. We camp at Frenchmans Lake up here and the group campsite is pretty reasonable, like, $130 a night for up to 50 people.

Just a thought....

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Closed Thread