The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What type of Boot Foot or Wading Shoe do you prefer?
Lug Soles 7 10.94%
Felt Soles 38 59.38%
Studs 6 9.38%
Studed Felt 15 23.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Traction Control

Studded AuquaStealth for best all around, and it doesn't collect didymo!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I wear Cabelas Master Guide with or with out waders. Going on 5 seasons with no discernible wear on the soles.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Joni (& anyone else with experience of the two sole types), notwithstanding the felt/snow issue (I guess I'm just a fair weather fisherman), what would your preference be between a studded felt sole and a studded Aquastealth sole in a river situation with mossy boulders and occasionally submerged mossy logs? I'm asking because I have a pair of Korkers Konvertibles which I think a great deal of, and of course they have interchangeable soles.
I purchased some studded aquastealths 7 years ago but I don't get to use them but maybe 5-10 times a year. In all those years I've fallen once on a very rocky river in the Wallowas in Oregon. I attribute that to fatigue and haste. I've been very happy with these soles as I hike to the river frequently and feel very secure with them when I wade even over mossy covered river bottoms. I doubt I will ever go back to felt as long as there is aquastealth. I've considered a none studded version but with the grip I get that thought is quickly dashed. Just my opinion here...
Old 04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Aquastealth all the way, but, GOT TO HAVE STUDS. I prefer the sheet metal type becaue...I can take them out for boat use.
Rubber over flet because of the no, no's you pick up with felt and the ONLY time I found felt at ALL adventageous was real cold situation and the felt was actually sticking to the rocks. Made for a little more sure footed, but not an occasion I can see all that often.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'm on my 7th year of the leather Simms Guide boots now. Aquastealth soles with studs. Any river any time. Haven't used anything since on moving waters. They're the way to go for me.
Unless the manufacturers come up with something in felt soles to kill the didymo, whirling disease spores and other aquatic hitchhikers, felt is going the way of the 8 track and cassette tape decks.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Fishn,

I use both felt and rubber with studs. It depends where I'm fishing but for the most part the felts are sufficient. This is not to say that the studded shoe isn't better but I keep them for walking in snow while fishing. As you know snow loads up on felt with or without studs.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 AM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

It looks like the felt sole boots will become a thing of the past. There is a movement to ban these typesof shoes/boots. The felt soles potentially spread problematic wildlife from waterway to waterway. So if you are looking long term, look into non-felt boots/shoes.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
It looks like the felt sole boots will become a thing of the past. There is a movement to ban these typesof shoes/boots. The felt soles potentially spread problematic wildlife from waterway to waterway. So if you are looking long term, look into non-felt boots/shoes.
I agree totally, but I do hope people realize, this is only one answer. They can still transport by way of waders, and us stillwater people, by boat, tube, pontoon, and check those trolling motors, not to mention NETS.