The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   S&A or RIO? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/266757-s-rio.html)

fyshstykr 04-17-2012 10:18 PM

S&A or RIO?

Straight forward choice here, only 2 to choose from.
I was a S&A guy for years, decided to try RIO and stuck with them for a while but I think I'm going to go back to S&A lines. Which one of these two do you prefer?

S&A or RIO?

trout sniper 04-17-2012 10:32 PM

Re: S&A or RIO?

That is a toughie. Both have their merits. I've been using RIO Gold for a whle now, and love it, so my vote goes to Rio. Still, I love SA lefty kreh line and their GPX is good stuff.

fisher46 05-30-2012 03:21 AM

We needed Airflo in that one too.

jpbfly 05-30-2012 04:20 AM

I'm a bit oldschool:oso voted for SA:rolleyes:.... Fysh,will vote for Rio if you include brazilian girls:D:D:D
Just bought a Cortland Sylk(oldschool again:o)but haven't tested it yet....

MoscaPescador 05-30-2012 11:21 AM

Freshwater single handed - I could go either way.
Spey - Rio
Tropical Saltwater - Scientific Anglers

Hardyreels 05-30-2012 11:59 AM

I went with the numbers, I have about a dozen SA lines and one Rio. That must mean something............

mcnerney 05-30-2012 12:04 PM

Most of my lines are RIO but I also have some SA lines. I guess I agree with Dennis, for freshwater fishing I could go either way, they both make really nice lines. I don't do Spey (yet) or Salt so I can't say.

Hardyreels 05-30-2012 12:49 PM

Hi larry,

I am a creature of habit and perhaps a hack when it comes to deciphering whether one line is better than another. One of my lines is a sky blue Orvis SSS Rocket Taper #5 made by 'who knows', that I bought in 1985 - 86. I really can't tell the difference between that line and a brand new one when I cast them on the same rod...........

With the Spey lines I think getting the belly length and weight right takes much precedence over who made the line. If it doesn't load up the rod properly it just won't work regardless of brand.

milt spawn 05-30-2012 04:50 PM

For me it's SA, then RIO, then Cortland. FWIW, I believe Cortland lines are made in USA, not sure about the others. milt. Update: Just recieved an SA Textured in the mail today and it says Made in USA.

comeonavs 05-30-2012 08:33 PM

I voted SA just because I am totally hooked on the Mastery Textured Trout Stalker for dry fly fishing. That being said I have plenty of RIO Selective TroutII and Trout LT on a 1wt and a few 3wts and there is nothing wrong with them at all. If there is anything wrong with them I am not adept enough to know what that is.

Just the old tuning fork in my loins went haywire when I tried the trout stalker from SA :wiggle: