The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What stage are you at (for the most part)?
Stage 1: Catching that FIRST fish. 3 11.11%
Stage 2: Catching the MOST fish. 6 22.22%
Stage 3: Catching the BIGGEST fish. 6 22.22%
Stage 4: Catching the MOST DIFFICULT fish. 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Four Stages of Angling

I once read that there are four (4) stages that a fly angler passes through;
-Stage 1: To catch your FIRST fish on a fly
-Stage 2: To catch the MOST fish on a fly
-Stage 3: To catch the BIGGEST fish on a fly
-Stage 4: To catch the MOST DIFFICULT fish on a fly

These days I spend most of my time happily bouncing back and forth between stages 2-3 (leaning towards 2), but I have fallen victim to Stage 4 from time-to-time... it is by far the most rewarding (when it works out), but more often than not it has left me stumbling back to the parking area in total darkness, mumbling (grumbling) to myself.

So what stage do you spend most of your time in?

I would be curious if we have any Stage 1's here.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Four Stages of Angling

I'm a relative newbie, so I'm clearly a Stage 2.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen

Probably 2. But, I will say that I a lot times am just looking to catch a good dinner! If you seen the prices of food here in the interior of Alaska you'd know that a nice fish or 2 could easily cost $20-30 at the grocery store. And it is a lot more fun to catch them. And I think they taste better too!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I would say stage 3 and 4. It usually works out that the difficult fish are the biggest and the biggest are the most difficult.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

mostly 3, sometimes 4, sometimes 2. Depends on how I am fishing and who I am fishing with.

I have a buddy that caught his first fish from a float tube the other day, and then 2 yesterday. He is so stoked he was caught in 1 for a while, but after talking him through a specific spot and technique, he landed 2 in a couple hours, the first one within 5 minute of being there, so with him, and when I am fishing with him, it was 1 and then 2 (from a tube) He caught tons as a gear fisherman, but, decided to fly fish last year, and has been dedicated to it (though I think he snuck back to gear a few times when he was alone just to land something).

When my regular fishing buddy and I fish, it is bragging rights, just between us, sometimes how many and sometimes how big, when I fish myself, it is where is the big guy hiding or if I know where, it is how to get him hooked. so, like I said, it depends.

I think each time it is sequence on any given day.
catching the first one of the day, or at this new lake, or location (finding the fish and what they are eating) or this new technique (spey casting or switch casting), or this new fly I tied, or with a new rod, or with a hand tied leader, etc....

If you have a friend with you, and you are catching and they are not, then it becomes (for me), helping him get hooked up with the fish.

Then if everyone is catching a bunch at that location, or etc and the fishing is good, that day, it becomes catching a big one, or the biggest one, and if all that is going well, then, it is about catching that one that is slurping flies over there, or that big one I saw down by the riffle, etc.

Mostly it is just being able to get out, sppend time with friends, enjoy the day, unwind and catch a few fish, and I try to learn something and improve my fishing skillset everytime I am out. This can be anything from identifying the bug on the water to a new stripping method, or easier way to release the the fish, or better way to find them, being better able to think like them, etc.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I voted #4 but that is something that changes day to day or trip to trip, some days I want to see if I can fool a lot of fish, some I want to focus my efforts on finding a beast, but more so than not I want to fish the most difficult water for spooky fish. Its funny though, sometime all of the above can happen on the same river!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I voted #4 but sometimes all apply. Catching the big ones is always fun as is catching alot. Big it's that one that challenges your skills and your ability to execute an on the water plan that give the most satisfaction when you finally seal the deal!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea where I would fit in this so I'm going to say I'm a 5 () and get the most satisfaction out of just "being there"

Like Chance the Gardner told Eve... "I like to watch"

Click the image to open in full size.
milt spawn, joebloe and theboz like this.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM

mattrevors is on a distinguished road

I'm really going to be focusing on muskie this season, so #4 was what I chose. But I'm also doing local bass tourneys as the token fly guy, so 2 & 3 readily apply, too.

Really, though...I just like catchin' fish!

mattrevors.com
@mattrevors
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 PM

nymtber is on a distinguished road

I pick option 5: I just love to fish and don't care how many, how big, or really what species. 99% of the time I put them back, which is why I prefer fishing to hunting. I have NOTHING against hunting/fishing for food, but for now, it makes a lot more work and I would rather spend that extra time still on the water or on the bank catching the fish When a fish bites, be it bass, panfish, trout, catfish...whatever, I get that "kid in a candy store" feeling!