The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Barbed, Barbless or both?
Barbed 11 16.92%
Barbless 27 41.54%
Both 27 41.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 PM

tommyc_295 will become famous soon enoughtommyc_295 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to tommyc_295
Default Re: Barbless or barbed hooks?

I go with whatever the rules are for that spot. Most of the times it's barbless where I fish.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 PM

crruns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_295 View Post
I go with whatever the rules are for that spot. Most of the times it's barbless where I fish.
My province is barbless, and catch and release for trout in streams and rivers, so I'm barbless, or at least a pinched barb, which is considered barbless by everyone here.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:04 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I am all barbless, I usually pinch them down with pliers if the hook has a barb, but typically at the shop I buy most of my flies from they are already barbless.

~Stu
Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I voted both just because sometimes I forget to crimp the barb down. There are 2 reasons why barbless. I am 100% catch and release so no point in doing any unnecessary harm to the fish.

Secondly I am really really really good at having the fly slip as I cinch the knot and bury it to the bend of the hook in my finger
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Quite right. For me the yes or no is really dependent upon the size of the hook. Size 8 and smaller I'll go barbed if reg's permit. Above that I tend to flatten them out as a personal safety matter.

That little lesson was from a Size 4 2X heavy wire hook. Cost $600.00 to get that damned thing extracted at the Emergency Room.
I never thought an ear piercing had as much "yank" at the end. Thank heavens it was barbless, never been one for body piercing.

Trout in NM are usually in the 10 - 20 inch range, hate to booger them up. Our snow pack and average c.f.s. on the streams has been much lower than usual, it's nice to keep the fish as happy and healthy as possible. Anglers too!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

BL...always...not to hurt fish,friends and ....myself
thorsten likes this.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:39 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I use barblees hooks to give a little chance to the fish and to release them without a problem. Of course sometimes I loose a fish, but after a short moment of frustration I am happy with him and I say to myself: "next time we will see us again, Buddy"
jpbfly likes this.

THORSTEN
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I also have to say both.... I tend to fish lots of water that require it, but I often find myself pinching the barb down on water that does not require it. Mostly from habit. I will say that I just recently lost a very large rainbow that ran right at me immediately after the hook was set. This was on heavily fished water where barbless is required. I lost that fish. Large arbor reel or not, there was no way I was going to get that fish.... I know the hole he was in… there is always next week. I do believe that more fish are lost to barbless hooks, but many more fish live long lives long after the release because of barbless hooks. If I had to choose only one, I would pick Barbless…

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com