The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How far do you have to drive for "good fishing?"
Feels like nothing (right in my back yard) 20 30.30%
20-30 minutes 13 19.70%
30 minutes to an hour 13 19.70%
1-2 hours 9 13.64%
2-3 hours 5 7.58%
3+ hours (basically an all-day event) 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 08:49 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: How Close to Home is "Good" Fishing?

For me I put 2-3 hours. I live in Longmont Colorado so I can be in RMNP in a hour which is my home away from home at the end of summer for some epic dry fly action on 9-12" fish with an occasional 14" thrown in. I can be up the poudre in a hour and 45 but if I want to go fish N Platte , S Platte, Colorado , Eagle or any other water it it 2-3hrs. I usually do those trips 3-4x per year.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

The Little Red is 10 minutes from my home and 10 hours from work.

Dave
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's a trout stream across the street from my house, but I wouldn't consider it a 'good" one. The same with the other 2 trout streams in town. There's also 22 accessible ponds right here in town and depending on what you're fishing for some of those can be pretty good.
My favorite local trout stream and the closest one where you might be unlucky enough to run into a guide is about 25 minutes. So that's the one I'm counting, but in this area there are many small trout streams to explore.
I can be fishing in salt water in 45 minutes but my favorite spots are an hour or more.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Too far..

The Gallatin, is just over a mile
Madison (lower), 15-18 miles depending on what strech to float
Madison (upper), 45
Yellowstone, 40 minutes
Paradise Valley - almost 50 minutes
Jefferson - 45 minutes
Beaverhead, Bighole: 1.5 hours
Missouri - 2 hours

Sweet!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:35 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Although it's a 1/2 hour to the Delaware and same to the Susquehanna it's nice to have several streams and lakes within a stones throw of my house. Makes it nice when you get the itch to be fishing that quickly without any driving time!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post

define "good fishing"?
Excellent question Kayo, with no easy answers. I guess the definition for "good fishing" would be quite different from one angler to the next - personal criteria certainly plays a role here.

I can offer up these three (3) examples based on my current situation in Sandy, Utah;

-1) The closest stream to my house is American Fork. It’s a smallish stream (15-20 feet wide) set in a beautiful canyon and it's about 35-40 minutes from home to where I like to fish it. It's got a lot of small (<10") wild browns and quite a few stocked rainbows. The major drawbacks for me is that it runs through several heavily used campgrounds, so in addition to the areas of channelization and "urban" structure, it gets incredible amounts of rubbish thrown into it. Plus I have to pay $6 (entry fee) every time I want to fish it.

-2) The next closest is Lower Provo River – a world class tailwater fishery about 45-50 minutes away with world class detractions for me. The fish are there to be sure (some quite large), but it sits far too close to 2.5 million people so there is quite a bit of crowding. On top of that, a highway runs right next to it so you're never really removed from urban sprawl and the highway noise. And thirdly (during the summer) there is a non-stop parade of tubers, rafters, kayaks, boaters coming down the river.

-3) So the middle section of the Provo River (Midway, UT) is the closest trout river that fulfils my needs. It's removed enough to feel wild and although it gets used heavily, there always seems to be room to get away from people, and it's got a fantastic trout population with terrific hatches. The area I fish is an hour to 1:10 away from home (barring traffic issues). Next "preferred" option would be middle Weber River (1:30 drive) for all the same reasons.

So you see, for some (maybe "most") the first two may be perfectly acceptable… in fact #2 (lower Provo) is actually a destination river in some fly-fishing circles. I personally can't stand it and only wind up there if I happen to be fishing with someone else that absolutely has to be there. But I can easily see someone listing the lower Provo as their favorite trout river… it's just not for me.

Having said all that, I'm still fairly new to the area so maybe this is all subject to change with more local experience gained with time, but that's how it sits now.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

I got trout stream about a quarter mile in front of my house and another one less than 200 yards from my backdoor
Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Living in South Jersey (Vineland) I have some great pond's and lakes to fish within a 15min drive. But the stream's are hard since there all 2-3hrs away ken lockwood gorge , big flat brook , even the some pa stream's are about the same distance.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 PM

especkrx is on a distinguished road

Redding, CA baby! 0.7 miles from my house to the Sacramento River. Many other great fisheries within 15 minutes. Gotta love it!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: How Close to Home is "Good" Fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by especkrx View Post
Redding, CA baby! 0.7 miles from my house to the Sacramento River. Many other great fisheries within 15 minutes. Gotta love it!
I hear ya. Upper Rogue River is less than 6 miles from the front door. Almost takes as much time to 'load' two old Doggies in the back of the Jeep as it takes to drive there.

fae