The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What knot do you tie your fly on with?
Clinch 57 21.92%
Improved Clinch 120 46.15%
Perfection Loop 6 2.31%
Double Surgeon's Loop 5 1.92%
Uni-Knot/Duncan Loop 21 8.08%
Orvis Knot 12 4.62%
Trilene Knot 8 3.08%
Palomar Knot 10 3.85%
Non-slip Mono Loop 10 3.85%
Other 28 10.77%
Don't know - it's my "significant other's" problem 2 0.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: What knot do you tie your fly on with?

While I'm not surprised by the prevalence of the Clinch Knot, I am amazed how many more votes the Improved Clinch Knot has over the basic Clinch Knot. I've heard/read from time to time that the Improved Clinch is actually weaker than the Clinch knot. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: What knot do you tie your fly on with?

I wish the Pitzen knot was on the poll.
I picked improved clinch and probably should have picked 'other'.

In case you haven't tried the Pitzen, it's strong, small, easy to tie and telegraphs with a click when it's tied right.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:08 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: What knot do you tie your fly on with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I wish the Pitzen knot was on the poll.
I picked improved clinch and probably should have picked 'other'.
In case you haven't tried the Pitzen, it's strong, small, easy to tie and telegraphs with a click when it's tied right.
Jackster, that's an interesting knot. I hadn't heard of it before you brought it up, so I just Googled it [link to one of the easier demonstrations: http://www.marinews.com/Pitzen-Knot-347.php]. Some say it's akin to the Duncan, but I'm not familiar with either well enough to know. I noticed one reference discouraged its use with so-called "superlines". If that includes fluoro tippit, I'd be interested in your or others' experience with how well the Pitzen Knot holds in fluoro (same question for the Davy Knot, discussed below).

BTW, the Poll is "Multiple Choice", so multiple selections can be made (however, I suspect that they all have to be selected initially, at one time).
Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

clinch for trout around structure so if i sacrifice a fly to the tree gods---ill only lose the fly and not the tippet---i use a modified uni knot at a loop in the leader at the other end of the tippet--(clinch always breaks easier)

for steelhead and saltwater i use a non-slip mono loop knot for a better action on the fly
Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Several people have mentioned the no-slip mono knot. It is a great knot and one of the few with 100% knot strength. It is easy to tye but it does use a bit of tippet. With light tippets you should use 7 wraps and with heavier tippets you should use 5 wraps. One very important point with all knots is make sure you go back through the loop the same way you came in. You can see in picture 3 what I am talking about. You can see that the tag end is laying on top of the loop in both directions. More of us should be using this knot.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

I use a loop knot that was actualy designed for rapala lures it works rather well and is simple to tie.

make a loop, pass the tag end through it 3 times, insert tag end it to hook eye, wrap tag end 3 more times through loop, moisten then tighten.

that easy.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:27 AM

plland is on a distinguished road

1 more vote for "other." I used to do the Palomar because it's strong and easy (for me) to tie. However, the Palomar uses up a lot of tippet, even when I made a conscious effort to tie it with a small tag end. Now I use the Pitzen, which seems just as strong and easy to tie, but doesn't eat tippet length as quickly.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:21 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

I use the improved clinch as that is what I was taught as a kid oops!! did I say kid still am one just a little older. Palomar works great as well easy to tie and a strong knot as well.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrillinger223 View Post
I use a loop knot that was actualy designed for rapala lures it works rather well and is simple to tie.

make a loop, pass the tag end through it 3 times, insert tag end it to hook eye, wrap tag end 3 more times through loop, moisten then tighten.

that easy.
I used to use that knot, but switched. I use Cinch on anything smaller than 10-12 or so, and improved cinch on anything larger. When i fish Rapala's for walleye's i still use rapala's knot.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

Several people have mentioned the no-slip mono knot. It is a great knot and one of the few with 100% knot strength. It is easy to tye but it does use a bit of tippet. With light tippets you should use 7 wraps and with heavier tippets you should use 5 wraps. One very important point with all knots is make sure you go back through the loop the same way you came in. You can see in picture 3 what I am talking about. You can see that the tag end is laying on top of the loop in both directions. More of us should be using this knot.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

I agree. Loops are the way to go, cause like I said, you can use heavier tippet on smaller flies and still get movement.
But, one thing I am going to say on a loop is keep it as small as you can. I do think if the loop is too big it creates an unnatural wake before the fly.