The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What knot do you tie your fly on with?
Clinch 57 21.92%
Improved Clinch 120 46.15%
Perfection Loop 6 2.31%
Double Surgeon's Loop 5 1.92%
Uni-Knot/Duncan Loop 21 8.08%
Orvis Knot 12 4.62%
Trilene Knot 8 3.08%
Palomar Knot 10 3.85%
Non-slip Mono Loop 10 3.85%
Other 28 10.77%
Don't know - it's my "significant other's" problem 2 0.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default What knot do you tie your fly on with?

(This is a "reissue" of an earlier poll which posted before completion & could never get removed)

What knot do you use for attaching fly to tippit in freshwater situations? Note if your preference varies when using mono or fluoro tippit and what other variations might be called for (more turns if using fluoro, etc.)?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What knot do you tie your fly on with?

Surgeon's Loop. Can use heavier tippet on smaller flies.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

With all the choices, I was surprised to see an "Other" selected. Curious to know what that knot would be?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Surgeon's Loop. Can use heavier tippet on smaller flies.
Is that because the loop allows a more natural drift? Looks tough to tie, since I guess the fly itself has to perform all the turns while the knot/loop is being tied.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I voted for the Improved Clinch because I use it a lot. However, I also use a knot called the Davy Knot. Check it out... Click Here

The Davy Knot could be considered as "Other"

Old 12-12-2007, 10:15 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

I use the improved clinch....

Bruce
Old 12-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Is that because the loop allows a more natural drift? Looks tough to tie, since I guess the fly itself has to perform all the turns while the knot/loop is being tied.

Really easy for mr now. Thread fly, make a loop in tippet and tag, pass through loop twice. Then I stick the eye of the hook right in the middle of the loop and tighten slowly. This makes for a nice small loop. It does waiste an inch or so of tippet, but I got it down to where I can do it blind folded and very little waist. The trick is to keep the loop small, so it doesn't create a wake of it's own.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:31 PM

Question Re: What knot do you tie your fly on with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Bones View Post
. . . I also use a knot called the Davy Knot. . . . The Davy Knot could be considered as "Other"
I Googled this as well to see a step-by-step illustration. It appears to be a really simple knot to tie. Apparently Mr. Davy invented the knot for fast fly changes in fly-fishing competitions, so that's a real plus. Since it does have so few turns, any thoughts on how it would work with fluoro?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 PM

Thumbs up Re: What knot do you tie your fly on with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
The trick is to keep the loop small, so it doesn't create a wake of it's own.
That's a good point that I wouldn't have thought of.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Neil,

I use the improved clinch and the Duncan loop if I want a loop. I like the Duncan loop when I need a loop as I can adjust how tight it is on the fly. It also tightens up with a fish on.

Frank