The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 09:36 AM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Underwater Cameras

I have the Olympus 770.

Pros: Great case design, super rugged, good battery life. very small

Cons: Poor focusing and light balancing. Shots are really hit and miss. Some will be just crystal clear with deep rich colors. Next shot under the same conditions will be washed out and lacking crisp detail.

I don't know from experience but from the pictures I've seen posted, the new Optio from Pentaxt takes better pictures than my Olympus.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolimit View Post
I have the Olympus 770.

Pros: Great case design, super rugged, good battery life. very small

Cons: Poor focusing and light balancing. Shots are really hit and miss. Some will be just crystal clear with deep rich colors. Next shot under the same conditions will be washed out and lacking crisp detail.

I don't know from experience but from the pictures I've seen posted, the new Optio from Pentaxt takes better pictures than my Olympus.

The 770 also says ALL-WEATHER not WATER PROOF, just like my 730. You are right about them being very LIGHT sensative. Barely turn and it will change colors. Like I said, I miss the view finder. I like this camera, but as someone who has had both Pentax and Olympus, I am going to say in the $400 and less price range, Pentax is the best. But, you will miss out on some features going with the waterproof models in the same price range.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
The 770 also says ALL-WEATHER not WATER PROOF, just like my 730. You are right about them being very LIGHT sensative. Barely turn and it will change colors. Like I said, I miss the view finder. I like this camera, but as someone who has had both Pentax and Olympus, I am going to say in the $400 and less price range, Pentax is the best. But, you will miss out on some features going with the waterproof models in the same price range.
Joni,

Mine's the SW model. Maybe there is more than one version of the 770. I'm not sure. From the manufacturer's site:

Shockproof. Waterproof. Freezeproof. Crushproof. Introducing the world's most durable digital camera — the Olympus Stylus 770 SW. You can drop it (from 5ft), dunk it (to 33ft), freeze it (-10°C/14°F) or even try to crush it (up to 220lbf).

I've had it down to about 15ft, confirmed drop test performance, down to about 27 F, and sat on it with my 215lbs arse. OK so far and that's all well and good but I'm disapointed in metering and focusing.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

There must be a couple of models of 770. Like you said the SW says it all.
For the price I got mine I am not going to complain....much;-)
Old 12-21-2007, 11:48 AM

If it weren't for modern photo editing software, i would have ditched mine despite it being the best design concept for a small field camera I've seen.

I would like a viewfinder too. I still find myself putting the thing up to my eye like it's going to do any good. I took my 1972 Nikon out to the river a couple of months back because I've got some cool filters for it (including Polar). Granted, that old camera takes fabulous pictures anyway, but I was shocked at how much better they look than my dig.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:03 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
The 770 also says ALL-WEATHER not WATER PROOF, just like my 730.
Joni, per online reviews Olympus Stylus 770 SW Digital Camera Review the Olympus Stylus 770 SW is waterproof, and to 33 feet. This in addition to being ruggedized against extreme temperatures and five-foot drops, sitting on camera, etc. Of as much interest to me, however, the Olympus appears to have a smaller footprint than the Pentax Optio W30, being 3.6" in its largest dimension (width) compared to 4.2" for the Pentax's largest dimension (again, width). Overall, the Pentax measures 20% larger than the Olympus, not an inconsiderable amount when you consider the competition for equipment space while wading. Of course, like everything else in life, there's trade-offs, and it appears from reading this thread that the Pentax might be the superior camera in its picture-taking versatility. However, for the sole purpose of taking pictures of trout and not landscapes, macros of insects, etc., the smaller footprint of the Olympus might be worth those trade-offs to some.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Joni, per online reviews Olympus Stylus 770 SW Digital Camera Review the Olympus Stylus 770 SW is waterproof, and to 33 feet. This in addition to being ruggedized against extreme temperatures and five-foot drops, sitting on camera, etc. Of as much interest to me, however, the Olympus appears to have a smaller footprint than the Pentax Optio W30, being 3.6" in its largest dimension (width) compared to 4.2" for the Pentax's largest dimension (again, width). Overall, the Pentax measures 20% larger than the Olympus, not an inconsiderable amount when you consider the competition for equipment space while wading. Of course, like everything else in life, there's trade-offs, and it appears from reading this thread that the Pentax might be the superior camera in its picture-taking versatility. However, for the sole purpose of taking pictures of trout and not landscapes, macros of insects, etc., the smaller footprint of the Olympus might be worth those trade-offs to some.
The size factor and durability were the kickers for me too at the time of purchase. It is a great wading/hiking tool. However, there have been a bunch of times in the last year that I found myself wishing I had a better picture and would have put up with a bigger camera to get it. Your mileage may vary.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:58 PM

I still find myself putting the thing up to my eye like it's going to do any good.

LMAO me too.

Fly2Fish, thanks by the way. My camera has all the other details EXCEPT the waterproof. It does take great macros though. I just got so use to my Pentax Si and it took some fantastic pictures. I didn't care if I took pictures underwater. Just too bad I missed the bag on my tube and it was floating for several hours.
2007 has bee the year for great losses for me and the camera is amoung one of them. Just got to get tuned into the olympus plus get the down loading down again.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Joni, you have had some tough losses this year. It's bad enough when they occur one at a time, but when they bunch up like that, it's really tough.

BTW, I just found out from one of the Olympus Stylus 770 SW reviews that the "S" stands for shockproof, and the "W" for waterproof. I'm just amazed they kept the same model number, with only that distinction for such a major change. That same review listed it as a "Top Five Compact Camera" (& the only one in that class that was waterproof), with "good" imaging. Given how electronics change so rapidly with consequent price drops, I'll probably wait to buy until just before I go fly-fishing this spring, but for right now, this is the camera I'd get. No worry about dropping or dunking it, and the smallest footprint in its waterproof class.

Hope you have a nice Christmas and a great New Year!

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-21-2007, 03:09 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Is the lens on that Olympus motor driven and does it protrude when you turn it on? That's one of the reasons I sold my Olympus digital before getting the Pentax.
Also, I wouldn't forsake good image quality for something that's just a little bit smaller. The bottom line IS the picture, right?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.