The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Which starter outfit would you choose on a budget?
Orvis Streamline Outfit 4 11.11%
Temple Fork Outfitters NXT Outfit 9 25.00%
Redington Pursuit Outfit 9 25.00%
Other, Please Specify in Thread 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 06:14 AM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best starter rod outfit

L.L. Bean Streamlite combo.
rohnan likes this.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Location: Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl, a mere mile from the rim of the Everglades
bocamike is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Best starter rod outfit

I went a different way (than "pre-packaged outfits"). Personally, I like building my own stuff, including fly rods. On the web I have procured "rod kits" in a price range from $50 to $250 (the most expensive being SAGE blanks which comprise their retail equivalent in the $750 price range). All these rod kits are replete with all needed hardware, blanks, reel seat, cork handle, eyes, etc. All you need is a good work space, some thread, some epoxy, and a cheapie rod-turning machine.

One piece of advice I can give (having learned the hard way), is that I bought two reels at "closeout, bargain basement prices", and afterwards wished I had done a little research to learn if those models accommodated a spare spool, and if so, were there any spare spools available on the market. Unfortunately, I am stuck with very nice SAGE reels which were priced right (less than $40), but I have no ability to swap spools to gain certain advantage of quick setup changes.

Oh by the way, my first rod kit, including reel and those bare minimum kit building tools, plus an average quality fly line with backing came in just at or near $200. Since then, I have built three additional rods, but obviously the prices have grown along with my ego and desire to strive for better quality along the way.............. The above-mentioned SAGE rod is an 8wt on which I attached a SAGE Carbon Fiber reel with an extra spool so I can fish with a floating line or quickly switch to a sinker........... Oh yes, I have a wife too who would simply have a hissy fit if she knew how far this hobby has dipped into the piggy bank. But, I'm hoping that when that argument does arrive, at least I can mimic her old alibi about how much she saved when she shopped at the mall when all the sales were on.
chi flyfisher and rohnan like this.

Last edited by bocamike; 06-23-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:26 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

I will recommend Redington. You have a few different price points to choose from and still be under $300.00.

Classic trout outfit $289.00 great reviews on this medium/moderate action rod and I believe you get a drift reel which is stellar/eye stealer.
Redington voyant outfit $299.95
Redington pursuit outfit $179.00
A few years ago I purchased an RS4 outfit 5wt for a boat rod and backup outfit and fell in love with how smooth and transitional the rod was and cast. The Rise reel is also a very good reel with a solid and sensitive drag system. I had a good experience with their warranty department as well. I had slipped on a rock midstream falling and landed on my reel which resulted in shearing off the machined bolts that hold the reel foot to the reel. Sent it in with explanation of what happened and received a brand new reel no questions asked! Also.. I heard Sage bought Redingon they must be doing something right!
rohnan and mridenour like this.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 AM

rohnan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info I found a nice deal on a Cabelas 8wt, since I will mostly be targeting LM Bass,pike,and hopefully muskie. I picked up the RLS outfit for $149.99, considering suggested retail for the RLS reel alone is about $130 when you add backing,wf 8wt line, tippet, leader, rod and a nice case it just seemed like a great value. Hopefully I didn't make a terrible decision here.... Thanks for all the input I have learned alot and hopefully a few other new policy to fly fishing will benefit as well from this poll. Btw casting is way harder. Than it looks this is definitely. Going to take time before I put a hook on my line,I would have hooked my neck, back of head, arm pole, hat, just about everything on me yesterday....... Kind of scary!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohnan View Post
Thanks for all the info I found a nice deal on a Cabelas 8wt, since I will mostly be targeting LM Bass,pike,and hopefully muskie. I picked up the RLS outfit for $149.99, considering suggested retail for the RLS reel alone is about $130 when you add backing,wf 8wt line, tippet, leader, rod and a nice case it just seemed like a great value. Hopefully I didn't make a terrible decision here.... Thanks for all the input I have learned alot and hopefully a few other new policy to fly fishing will benefit as well from this poll. Btw casting is way harder. Than it looks this is definitely. Going to take time before I put a hook on my line,I would have hooked my neck, back of head, arm pole, hat, just about everything on me yesterday....... Kind of scary!
You are not alone. Casting is definetely harder than it looks, but once you got it it becomes habit. And I've heard good things about the cabela outfits, especially for a starter rod. Once you get your cast down you will start realizing what you need to make it better for your conditions.
rohnan likes this.

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:48 AM

babalu is on a distinguished road

Btw casting is way harder. Than it looks this is definitely. Going to take time before I put a hook on my line,I would have hooked my neck, back of head, arm pole, hat, just about everything on me yesterday....... Kind of scary![/QUOTE]

I had a different problem. not getting enough distance on my casts. but how much of that has to do with my broken hand I'm not sure. But I made them gimme something I could get wet so game on. I don't have much for flies, but if you wanna go fishing in the next couple days- week let me know.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:21 PM

theflashingthunder is on a distinguished road

I was out of town & had no gear bought a 8ft 5wt $10 Pflueger Purist rod on Craigslist, love it! I've caught more fish on this rod than my Scott & St.Croix! I picked up a Medalist 1492 reel & it works perfect. Save the $, and buy a nice vice & fly tying materials. Having the right flies are half the battle!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 PM

steelheadbum will become famous soon enoughsteelheadbum will become famous soon enough

Redington makes great trout rods, 3wt-6wt are all great rods not to mention the warranty has never let me down. The 7wt+ are meat sticks but for the price I keep them in the boat for friends & clients.
Buck

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....
Old 01-08-2014, 07:58 AM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

One of my sons bought Reddington combo, and is very happy with it.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Redington CT 8'6 5wt + Redington Drift + Backing ± Rio Gold... Pretty much the best combo you could build for under $300... If you'd prefer disc drag over the click n pawl Drift... I'd check out the Sage 1800 series... They're being discontinued and a dang good deal at $75.00