The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Which starter outfit would you choose on a budget?
Orvis Streamline Outfit 4 10.81%
Temple Fork Outfitters NXT Outfit 9 24.32%
Redington Pursuit Outfit 10 27.03%
Other, Please Specify in Thread 14 37.84%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Best starter rod outfit

Any fly rod combo that costs more than $100 will work just fine -- it's your casting and presentation that make all the difference.

Don't worry too much about it -- just practice a lot with whatever you get.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm sure many would disagree, but I have bought three of these combos for family who were just starting. The Cabela's Cahill combo, which is on sale right now for $39.99 is the best setup out there for the money. Most of you know that I've been doing this fly fishing thing for a lot of years, so I wouldn't intentionally lead you astray. The question was what do we think is the best "starter" outfit. The challenge exists that the person we supply with the outfit just may not pursue it after a few times out, so why spend a lot only to find it was a waste of time and money.

The Cahill outfit has a functional reel and a pretty decent rod. For 40 bucks plus shipping you can't really go wrong. I actually have one of these as an emergency backup rod as I truly like the action of this rod.

Here is the link: Cabela's Cahill Fly Rod and Reel Outfit : Cabela's

Kelly.
itchmesir and nir like this.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about

I started with a 17$ scientific angler rod + reel combo. I had tons of fun and the kit still works just fine.

If you are starting out, no need to break the bank. Even a used set-up would work great. If you end up getting bit by the fly fishing bug, you'll probably end up with 5 different outfit in a year anyway... (yes that's what I did... )