The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   Best starter rod outfit (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/289216-best-starter-rod-outfit.html)

rohnan 06-21-2012 04:33 PM

Best starter rod outfit

If you were starting from scratch and looking for an outfit on a budget which would it be?
Feel free to write in something not on the list if you feel it is a better on a budget. Price point goal is no more than $300 FYI....

hal_sch 06-21-2012 05:56 PM

Re: Best starter rod outfit

I was happy with the Three Forks combo from Cabelas. However I really do like the Wind River rod I bought from them so perhaps the Wind River combo would be better. I don't know anything about the reel that comes with it so I can not say for certain.

fishingfly 06-21-2012 07:16 PM

It kind of depends on the wieght of the rod for me as I like different actions for different sizes. That being said I have been very impressed by the NXT casting. Even though I have always liked Orvis products the Streamline has no warranty which is pretty scary. NXT is my choice because I trust TFO to make a reliable rod at a good price.

rohnan 06-21-2012 08:32 PM

TFO was the direction I was heading but then I started reading reviews saying the line that comes with it is terrible.... $50 for new line on an outfit that I bought to keep costs down seems counter productive. This is just what I have read and may hold no bearings to the facts. I do hear the rod itself is a great value.

fishindave 06-21-2012 09:40 PM

$120 TFO lefty Krey Proffesional 5 wt

$90 Allen reel

$45 Sage Quiet 5 wt DT

$255+ maybe some shipping cost and backing of $35=

$290= Nice rig

:shades:

rohnan 06-21-2012 11:34 PM

Thanks FishinDave looks like a solid set up I will definitely put it into consideration. Just a bit worried about 5wt holding up on the lakes and ponds, guess I should have mentioned I tend to go after bass and northern. Although I would like to start checking out the driftless trout fishing in SE MN. Problem I have is 90% of my fishing is before/after work for a few hours since the wife gets bent out of shape about my fishing addiction.

fishindave 06-21-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohnan (Post 466335)
Thanks FishinDave looks like a solid set up I will definitely put it into consideration. Just a bit worried about 5wt holding up on the lakes and ponds, guess I should have mentioned I tend to go after bass and northern. Although I would like to start checking out the driftless trout fishing in SE MN. Problem I have is 90% of my fishing is before/after work for a few hours since the wife gets bent out of shape about my fishing addiction.

You can bump the rod up to a 6-7 pretty easily, as you wont be needing a reel much backing capacity. W/ a DT 6wt you can probably get 100yds of #20 spectra backing on the allen 2 fly reel.

ak allen 06-22-2012 01:39 AM

The Ross kits are great. But I think setting up a combo from Allen would be better.

Rip Tide 06-22-2012 06:18 AM

Every thing you need for around 100 bucks
I tried one earlier this season and anyone looking for a price conscious starter kit would not be disappointed

http://i3.avlws.com/1109/l8295.png

rohnan 06-22-2012 12:44 PM

Thanks Rip Tide for the suggestion keep them coming guys this is certainly helpful to me and I am sure people new to the sport will be eye balling this poll in the future.