The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What tools do I really need to start tying flies?

When I've used true rotary vises, they have been very nice. The one I linked works fine, I've held hooks from 3/0 down to 24's on it. It does rotate but I've found the jaws regularly loosen when being rotated so I wouldn't call it rotary. If you have the cash and think you'll get into tying, but rotary! I'm glad I got the one I did now almost 2 years ago, it served it's purpose and it's soon time to upgrade.
babalu likes this.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:30 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

That post peregrines made is likely one of the best you'll find. Bare minimum, a vise, scissors, & a bobbin. Other tools are useful as you progress, but not necessities. As has been said, you want a good pair of scissors, with loops large enough to comfortably fit your fingers, and a bobbin with the ceramic inserts. Regular bobbins with metal tubes work for awhile, but wear out quickly, so you're better off with the ceramic from the start.

I tie on a Regal vise, and like the rotary feature, but for the tying I do it's also not a necessity. I have a home made vise too, made from an old pair of Vise Grips for tying very large flies & even tie jigs with it, and it's not rotary, but works just fine. Whether or not you need "true" rotary is up to you. For me, not really needed.

Kits can be a way to start, but frankly most will agree not the best way since materials that are included are usually poor quality & you end up paying for things you may not use. IMO, best bet is to buy as you need, from a reliable supplier, for the patterns you wish you tie, and build your materials inventory as you progress. You will find that the more involved you get with tying, and different types of flies, there is a lot of overlap with materials.

Just be prepared, tying is an addiction!
babalu likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 PM

babalu is on a distinguished road

I think I'm gonna save on the vise and invest in some good tools and materials. At least this way if I don't like the vise I didn't spend a lot on it and its not gonna be the end of the world.

Thanks everyone for all your great info Its all going to help me now and in the future!

Last edited by babalu; 07-09-2012 at 12:19 AM.