The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 12:18 PM

babalu is on a distinguished road
Default What tools do I really need to start tying flies?

I'm new to fly fishing but i know tying is the way i want to go. My problem is finding information about getting started.

Whats better just getting a kit to get started, or buying vise and other tools on their own? Also what tools would you say are the most essential?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What tools do I really need to start tying flies?

There are many threads written on the topic. Look in the FAQ section or use the search function.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
There are many threads written on the topic. Look in the FAQ section or use the search function.
Thanks so far the best one on tools I've found was "What tools do I need?" By peregrines. But im still looking through the section.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:26 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free to ask questions if you still have them. Sometimes things that make sense to folks who know how to tie might not make sense to folks just getting into it.
babalu likes this.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I started by signing up for lessons at the local shop. Lessons came with a starter kit including a thompson vise and some essential tools, the basic materials for the ten or so patterns covered in class, plus instruction sheets for each pattern. Nothing fancy with the tools, but it worked and got me going. Another advantage is having someone show you the basics.
babalu likes this.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug View Post
I started by signing up for lessons at the local shop. Lessons came with a starter kit including a thompson vise and some essential tools, the basic materials for the ten or so patterns covered in class, plus instruction sheets for each pattern. Nothing fancy with the tools, but it worked and got me going. Another advantage is having someone show you the basics.
Thanks I found a class not far from me for $50 bring your own tools. Do you like your Thompson vise? Is it rotary or fixed?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have this vise. Not the greatest but has worked just fine for me. I also bought the base for it so I didn't have to hook it onto the edge of a table. Looking to upgrade to a good rotary vise but not ready to spend the money yet, perhaps for Christmas. What kind of budget are you looking at for your vise? That will help folks with recommendations.

Buy good scissors. I have Dr. Slick and like them. I have a fine point pair, a general purpose, and then one for cutting hair. Don't need all three, but I've found it helpful. A ceramic bobbin is good too, very annoying to have thread cut by the bobbin tube.
babalu likes this.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Feel free to ask questions if you still have them. Sometimes things that make sense to folks who know how to tie might not make sense to folks just getting into it.
In your opinion what would be a good vise for a beginner, and rotary or fixed?
I only have a 8wt rod at this point so I'll be tying flies for bass and pike mostly. for the vise Id like to keep it under $200 but the cheaper the better as long as it will last a few years.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I have this vise. Not the greatest but has worked just fine for me. I also bought the base for it so I didn't have to hook it onto the edge of a table. Looking to upgrade to a good rotary vise but not ready to spend the money yet, perhaps for Christmas. What kind of budget are you looking at for your vise? That will help folks with recommendations.

Buy good scissors. I have Dr. Slick and like them. I have a fine point pair, a general purpose, and then one for cutting hair. Don't need all three, but I've found it helpful. A ceramic bobbin is good too, very annoying to have thread cut by the bobbin tube.
wow that's a lot nicer than the one for the same price at cabelas, and has better reviews. Thank you for sharing the link i was expecting to pay around $150-$200 for something that i could rotate.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Just Simply Tools Rotating Spring Action Vise Any thoughts on this vise? It looks like the Regal, but $100 cheaper.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu View Post

In your opinion what would be a good vise for a beginner, and rotary or fixed?
I only have a 8wt rod at this point so I'll be tying flies for bass and pike mostly. for the vise Id like to keep it under $200 but the cheaper the better as long as it will last a few years.
Once I upgraded to a rotary vise it made a WORLD of difference. I bought the PEAK rotary... sells for around $150.00 and it has been worth every penny.

As far as whether a rotary is a good choice for a beginner, I think it is. Chances are you will want to go rotary at some point down the road, so if you have the $$$ now, it's one less upgrade you'll have to make later.
babalu likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I went cheap/affordable when I started and I have replaced all of that within the first 2 years. I would say take your time and get items you will be happy with.
Here is a bit of reading to learn about a few different vices Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!
babalu likes this.