The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Where did your rod break?
Tip section 15 65.22%
Other section 3 13.04%
Ferrule 4 17.39%
Right in front of grip 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where it broke at poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
I've broken...one tip...one grip section...by falling down...and my famous bamboo graphite rod into three pieces
So can I vote Dan?
Sure, why not. I had not thought about breaking more than one. What was the most common spot they broke. If two had a break in the tip section vote tip, I guess. Maybe we can get a moderator to add another slot. A buncha rods to be explained.

We also have a butt section that did not get in the poll, and two ferrules that were not explained. I have theories on both types of break so if we can get those explained or polled I would appreciate it. In the case of the ferrules, I came really close to breaking one on my Meiser when I first got it. I don't want to explain that for a while, but I will at some point.

Last edited by Guest1; 09-26-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I had to go with other Dan, because I've had 3 tips, one butt, and one mid on a three piece rod.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

On a plane 35,000 feet in the air to Yosemite right now, but once I can get in front of something that will let me vote (not my iPhone), I will get it up there.
Isn't technology wonderful?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:15 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Too bad we can't make multiple choices!

I have broken one in every place listed with exception of the right in front of the handle.

Only one of those was not my fault.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:03 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

My first rod breakage. My fault, weighted fly - I blamed it on the wind, but bad casting was the reason I'm sure.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Could the two votes for ferrule please post why you think it broke there. There are a couple of places rods break, that I have theories on why they break there. Like the in front of the grip spot. (And to the poster with that one, please vote on the poll) I have busted a few gear rods that way and seen many of them bust there. Virtually all of them happened the same way as far as I know. Same thing with ferrule breaks ( a much rarer place to break 'em). I have only seen one reason they bust there. As in most things, more data is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
one butt, .
Just out of curiousity, how did that one occur?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:29 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Over the years a bunch of tips usually for stupid reasons and one butt section on an old Fenwick 11 wt . The butt broke on a downward pull out of an overhead tree. My guess is the rod had never been bent in that direction at the butt and the sudden stress on a section that had only bent the other way so many times over the years just did it in. Just a guess or an exuse for doing something dumb!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser