The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   Where it broke at poll (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/297624-where-broke-poll.html)

Guest1 09-24-2012 05:49 PM

Where it broke at poll

Ard's broken rod poll got me thinking, a dangerous thing, so I decided to see where these breaks occur on the rod itself. Tell us why you think it broke in that particular spot.

Tip section

Other section

Ferrule

Right in front of grip (butt section)

In my case right in the middle of the tip section, 4 pc. rod. The reason. A tree jumped in front of my back cast.

grassonfly 09-24-2012 05:53 PM

Re: Where it broke at poll

because the clouser minnow smacked it on the tip

ghocevar 09-24-2012 06:25 PM

A close friend that I was teaching on a pond broke it in the butt section on an overly aggressive hook set. 4wt rod + 3lb Brown + a Jimmy Houston hook set = 5 piece rod instead of 4 piece

Guest1 09-24-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghocevar (Post 485914)
A close friend that I was teaching on a pond broke it in the butt section on an overly aggressive hook set. 4wt rod + 3lb Brown + a Jimmy Houston hook set = 5 piece rod instead of 4 piece

I have a theory on that, which is why I put it in the poll. Do me a favor and hit the poll for that would you? Thanks.

I'm going to keep my theory on that to myself for a while.

nickj 09-24-2012 06:35 PM

Mine broke about halfway up the first section, between the car door and the door jamb.

caseywise 09-24-2012 06:49 PM

tip section broke when i stupidly laid my rod down on the bank to take a leak....got done and it had been stepped on:eek::mad:
not the brightest move:confused:

casey

Rip Tide 09-25-2012 07:04 AM

I've broken the ring off the tip-top a bunch of times. That's from not protecting the rod well enough while traveling. I'll learn some day.
I've had few rods break maybe 4 inches from the tip, either through negligence or from setting the hook too aggressively on some especially nasty vegetation.
A couple of my home rolled rods broke at the ferrule. The blank sections were matched wrong at the factory on those. Not my fault this time except for not noticing
I vote tip, but only because there wasn't an "all of the above" :o

fredaevans 09-25-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grassonfly (Post 485904)
because the clouser minnow smacked it on the tip

Save for car doors ..... a fly smack is the leading cause of rod failure. In all the years I've fished I've only had two rods that actually 'failed' on their own. And given they'd seen a lot of water time ...... I'm back at guess number one.

fae

williamhj 09-25-2012 10:06 AM

I've broken a few rods. Most broke at the tip and were my fault in one way or another: getting ice off the guides, catching it in a tree while tripping (glad it didn't end up on youtube), and one spinning rod in a car window. But I did have one break in the bottom section just below the ferrule. Built a 9' 6wt from a blank and had it out the first time. I fished it a bit then my buddy tried it with a hair mouse. On a back cast I heard a sound like a large tree limb snapping. My friend felt terrible, but, given where it broke, I'd guess it was a faulty blank.

jpbfly 09-25-2012 10:35 AM

I've broken...one tip:o...one grip section:o...by falling down:o...and my famous bamboo graphite rod into three pieces:eek::D
So can I vote Dan?:confused: