The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: To prune, or not to prune?
Yes 10 18.52%
No 17 31.48%
Situational 27 50.00%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 06:25 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: An Ethics Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
This gets my vote for "Post of the Day."

Thankyou, sir, you are too kind.

Just one of those things were instantly you think of a similar situation you were in and how it relates.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

x2 with Ard.
Chances are the snags are gonna get blown out with the next heavy so I don't see any issues with movin some temporary underwater cover.
As far as trails, if I can't move under or around it, then I'll walk up the river. no big deal even if I put off a few fish...after all, isn't being out fishing enough?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Situational for me.
Anything near the hole I leave. A yellow birch just above my favorite hole has many of my flies in it. I have figured out how to flick the fly off the birch leaves (sometimes) just by using the weight of the line and a gently timed pull. There would be hundreds in the tree if every one got caught.

Away from the hole I may snip a few alders here and there overhead if it frees up my role cast. I usually leave in stream habitat the way it is.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I just don't prune trees for the sake of it,at times I prune Trees & especially Blackberriy Bushes,the reasons for pruning,most of which have been posted:

To retrieve my Fly especially one I've been catching Fish with,another & the main reason is to clear tracks where I walk for safety whilst walking at night as we all will notice every year certain trees have new branches about eye height,especially springy ones which can give a bad hit if following close behind someone.
Also if I'm on a stream sometimes I might have to remove a branch or two for access.
Brian
Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I will not snap off a twig to improve my cast, but will take out a limb to get my fly back.

Dave
dean_mt and caseywise like this.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I am far too lazy to be doing yard work while I fish.

Situational, like others.
fredaevans, wt bash and cjottawa like this.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Something more to add to the discussion. If I was fishing a high traffic area that showed signs of wear and tear from human activity, I am not going to touch anything. Many of the streams and rivers and ponds in my area can be thick and overgrown.
Many stream enhancement efforts in the area remove considerable over growth to improve circulation and water flow. I always carry a sharp fixed blade knife so I can make a clean cut. I don't like the snapped off look that tears the bark and hurts the tree branches, and leaves unsightly visual pollution. Plus I'm not cutting limbs every time I go out. I may have cut a few twigs over the whole season.

I'm sure many spots in the U.S. can be fished pretty hard. For every 1 Canadian fisherman there are 10 American fishermen. This changes the equation and protocols. Heavy use areas require a more no trace approach.
Here where I am the Morell River is the hardest fished river. I don't even bother to fish it much, just because there are so many fishing it. Plus I can do without the sometimes crusty die hard guys who can get pretty grumpy about "their" spots. I would rather go some place else and have it all to myself , not because I am selfish, but because there are enough good spots or so few fishermen here. I rarely see anyone when I fish.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I've removed a branch or two over the course of a season if it affects a casting lane on a little pressured stream. On such stream found me hitting the same small limb (isn't that always the case - that one pesky small limb grabs my fly EVERY TIME!) I'll never move an instream log/branch to improve my drift, presentation, ability to get to where the fish are unless I have a fly attached to said stick and I need to (and can easily) move it to get my fly. I couldn't imagine sawing clear instream structure.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A change in thought here vis a vis limited back casting room. Repeating myself, but learn several 'spey casts' for those tight situations. A one hander doesn't know it's not a 2hander ........

Actually it's really quite easy to do with a 9' (or longer) rod. Say that only because I've yet to try same with anything shorter.

fae
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I said no because where I've been fishing lately is private land but most folks allow access. If I were to go in and prune away troublesome branches I could ruin it for alot of other people. Like Ard had said there are just some spots you leave alone no matter how fishey they are. I fished a section of creek that was lined with dead willows, some spots were easy to put a bug under, some impossible and wouldn't you know the hardest spots had the most fish rising. Not every fish needs to be caught not every spot needs to be fished. If you get to oe of those tough holes just hang out and watch it, its just as cool to see fish doing their thing as it is to catch them.
imxer, Hardyreels, Guest1 and 5 others like this.