The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: To prune, or not to prune?
Yes 10 18.87%
No 17 32.08%
Situational 26 49.06%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: An Ethics Question

WT just put up a very strong Candidate for "Post of the Day.'
Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Ethics Question

The dead tree that I busted my Winston on seems to have suffered from an accident, and believe it or not it was not me.

I have cut some saplings and other annoying vegetation though. The last couple of years I have had Willows popping up in bad bad spots. They are going to have to go away each and every time. Despite the very large size and length of this river, there are a limited number of spots where I can fish from shore. I refuse to give them to weeds and trees. Don't get me wrong, I'm not breaking out the chain saw. Yet.

I second Fred's vote for WT.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:34 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

It is usually proper to trim. You're doing yourself and everyone else a favor.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I voted no as well and couldn't have said it any better than WT. The only time I change anything is if I snag my fly on something in the water and that something gets pulled up when I pull my line in. Other than that, I believe that nature has it's own way of doing things and I don't want to get in the way of that. Besides, after a hurricane we had last year, it has made for some very interesting and frusterating obstacles. That makes it fun for me though, if the holes I fished never changed I would get bored with them, I love the challenge.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I guess I've never even considered carrying any sort of pruning implement to aid my fishing. hmmm...maybe a new feature for a new fishing pack, "the pruning shear sheath."

But apparently many people do consider it, so I'm glad you posted this poll Milt.

If it came to removing structure to make a drift easier - no way! I mean wtf is that? That is fishing, my friends. When structure is such that I can't get to where I want to...well, I lose and walk away. What about all those nasty cross currents and the eddy that doesn't allow me to the drift I "need" to get my fly somewhere? Should I bring in a shovel brigade? A backhoe?

This is fishing! You find a way to get your fly where you want it and if you can't then you move on. You do not alter the wild scape of the land to suit your greedy desire.

As far as clearing trail...I don't do that either, but I find it only mildly less offensive.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Don't prune John, bad karma

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
It is usually proper to trim. You're doing yourself and everyone else a favor.
Fly fishing isn't about making things easier for everyone else, sorry. I've never trimmed a branch in my life and I've spent a lot of time on small creeks...........
fysh, dean_mt, wt bash and 1 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A different situation, but related.
This time of year, I have little brook trout in the tributary stream that flows through the woods behind my house.
They're not year-long residents, but move up into the skinny water in the fall to spawn.
I was out back picking mushrooms the other day when I noticed that there were lots of them this year. More than I've ever seen before in more than 20 years. We've had plenty of rain lately so I guess that made passage easier for the 1/4 mile swim up from the main stream.
Anyway, it got me thinking that I haven't gone through and cleared out the obstructions in a few years. In the past I've made a point to keep the passage clear of major dead fall dams so that the little guys (and gals ) can make it to their spawning areas.
This is more of a stream improvement and is not at all meant to make it easier to fish...... I've never fished for my little buddies there and don't intend to.
Still, spending some time clearing deadfalls (and improving the flow) is not always a bad thing
woodrivertroutbum likes this.