The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   An Ethics Question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/297652-ethics-question.html)

milt spawn 09-24-2012 10:22 PM

An Ethics Question

Whilst fishing, do you believe it's proper to trim troublesome branches or cut a log to facilitate a cast or drift?

mbphotos54 09-24-2012 10:25 PM

Re: An Ethics Question

sub'ed.. this should be good

Hardyreels 09-24-2012 11:09 PM

I say situational because I always thought that if I did that it would make the fish vulnerable to a meat fisherman. Conversely, if I have a streamer snagged on a submerged limb and it isn't too deep I go and get the fly back. If I feel that snapping off the offending limb will not make the spot a cakewalk I'll snap the limb.

I believe that some spots are just not meant to be fished, it is these spots that provide fish with their only safe haven from fishermen. Generally I pass places that look like trouble but also good holds for fish.

caseywise 09-24-2012 11:18 PM

if there is a dead snag or branch that i can reach, i'll remove it. as far as cutting a trail, i.e. machete, only if it's minimal.

casey

gatortransplant 09-25-2012 10:49 AM

I'm with Ard on this one. Absolutely a situational question. I'll break off dead branches to get my flies back (though this is situational too... depends how much the frustration has built up :D). For me, I'd rather leave the overhanging branches that sit close to the water and protect the holes, but the branches over my head that are already dead yet still groping for my flies, they are open season if they are on those waterways that already get heavy pressure (read: those streams that serve as yearly battlegrounds for combat fishermen).

Rip Tide 09-25-2012 10:57 AM

I've seen where "creekers" have gone through with chainsaws clearing out sweepers that provide cover for trout so as to make a stream more suitable for paddling. That's not cool at all and it's a lot different than pulling out a submerged limb bent on stealing flies.

I cut trails or at least maintained them. I do it every year on "the club water". It's a public service

fredaevans 09-25-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 486101)
I've seen where "creekers" have gone through with chainsaws clearing out sweepers that provide cover for trout so as to make a stream more suitable for paddling. That's not cool at all and it's a lot different than pulling out a submerged limb bent on stealing flies.

I cut trails or at least maintained them. I do it every year on "the club water". It's a public service

Not really a question of 'Ethics,' but a question of degree. As RT notes, major stuff (unless part of a genuine sanctioned work party) the chain saw should be used on the owner. :rolleyes:

Removal of logs/wood underwater strata is a 'no-no, they should be left in place as these are major 'baby cribs' for fry. Many examples of where the practice of cutting down large shore located trees and chaining them to the bank (pointie end down stream) has created ideal conditions for small fish.

The odd limb? Make it go away.

siskiyoublues 09-25-2012 05:10 PM

I'll carry clippers so I can get through blackberry bushes, and other nasties and don't mind snaping an overhead twig if it means freeing a fly. Never really saw that being an ethical issue.

newby 09-25-2012 05:30 PM

Situational. on a small, pristine creek, just fish the waters where it is possible to get a fly in. No need to cut and prune bushes and trees.

Also depends on whether or not you are going to be helping bait fisherman.

On the San Juan there are a few spots with a LOT of willows. I was at such a spot where the fish were close (ish) to shore. There were probably around 50 in a small stretch of water, all 14-19." There were no casting lanes behind me, I had to stay close to the bank or spook the fish. Anyone who tries to roll cast a strike indicator, splitshot, beadhead, and another fly knows it is easier said than done. The fish were far enough away just throwing my line out there was not an option.

I cut off some limbs from one of the offending willows, knowing they were prolific, would not hurt the plant, and would not help baitfisherman (regulations call for artificial fly and lure only blah blah blah.....) I ended up cathing over a dozen, all good sized, from that spot.

long story short it depends.

fredaevans 09-25-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newby (Post 486188)
Situational. on a small, pristine creek, just fish the waters where it is possible to get a fly in. No need to cut and prune bushes and trees.

Also depends on whether or not you are gouing top be helping bait fisherman.

On the San Juan there are a few spots with a LOT of willows. I was at such a spot where the fish were close (ish) to shore. There were probably around 50 in a small stretch of water, all 14-19." There were no casting lanes behind me, I had to stay close to the bank or spook the fish. Anyone who tries to roll cast a strike indicator, splitshot, beadhead, and another fly knows it is easier said than done. The fish were far enough away just throwing my line out there was not an option.

I cut off some limbs from one of the offending willows, knowing they were prolific, would not hurt the plant, and would not help baitfisherman (regulations call for artificial fly and lure only blah blah blah.....) I ended up cathing over a dozen, all good sized, from that spot.

long story short it depends.

This gets my vote for "Post of the Day."
:D