The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What practice do you use concerning barbed hooks?
Barbless 26 10.79%
Pinched down barb 118 48.96%
barbed hook 32 13.28%
Depends on situation 65 26.97%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 PM

irish greg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Touchy subject:Barbless or barbed

generally
when you hook a fish with a barbed hook penetration is normaly up to or around the barb.but with a barbles hook it can penerate right up to the bend of the hook.if the fish has engulfed the hook serious damage can be done by the deeper peneration into the tissue.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:37 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

This is kind of a tough poll to answer as constructed. For those who go barbless, I'd say most (unless they tie all of the flies they fish) would want to answer both barbless and pinched. It's not easy to find commercially tied flies on barbless hooks at your average shop.

I'd say there are a half a dozen or so fisheries that I frequent where barbless is the law. For those who don't or never have used barbless, do you avoid those fisheries which require them?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Eric.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish greg View Post
generally
when you hook a fish with a barbed hook penetration is normaly up to or around the barb.but with a barbles hook it can penerate right up to the bend of the hook.if the fish has engulfed the hook serious damage can be done by the deeper peneration into the tissue.

Another thought may be as to type of hooks and sharpness.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I always pinch down the barb on my hooks. That includes the big Bass hooks I use. I learned a sad lesson while tying a saltwater Clouser. I was on one side of the table and by fishing partner was on the other side of the table. We were sharing materials and I reach over the upturned hook to pick up something on the table. I got the 1/0 hook buried in my forearm. I had not yet de-barbed the hook. It was in up to the bend. We had to push the hook the rest of the way through so we could cut off the point/barb. It was not a fun time.

Frank
Old 01-06-2008, 06:33 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

i've accidently killed a few fish with barbed hooks when they swallowed um too deep and I tried to remove them . now I switched to pinched down hooks. never lost a fish yet cause of it that I know of and they seem to come right out when removing. plus it helps when you hook yourself also . but I have also read the same thing irish greg has said. guess it could happen. guess its up to you to choose.
frank thats a big hook!!! ouch hurts me just thinkin bout it!!! and I thought the size 10 bugger I had in my finger was bad! I will always debarb my hooks now that I read this. guess fly fishing is more dangerous than I thought! I also seen a picture where a guy caught a hook in the eye! yowzers!!! I always wear me some polarized glasses cause of it.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I pinch down the barb at the vise before starting the fly. I probably have lost a few fish going barbless, but the ease of removing the hook from the fish or myself is worth it. If you nymph fish & use droppers you will occasionly have one of the other flies stuck in the fish's body & the faster you can release the fish the better it's chances. If you play the fish on a tight line I don't think the hook on a barbless fly will back out & cause more damage.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I also seen a picture where a guy caught a hook in the eye! yowzers!!! I always wear me some polarized glasses cause of it.

Hi GeorgeMcFly,

You bring up a very important aspect of fly fishing. Any body fly casting, no matter their experience, should be wearing glasses with POLYCARBONATE lenses. I have been hit in the glasses one time with a weighted bugger. I don't exactly remember how but it dang sure hit my glasses. Wait, I do remember, I was caught on a log and pulled it off with the rod tip and it sling shot back at me. This was when I was young and foolish. I bet all of us has been hit with a fly while casting at least once. It is just good sense to wear glasses.

Frank
Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road

I have been pinching the barbs down, since the local fly shops don't keep to many barbless flys in the patterns we want, we generally release everything we catch, if we are planing to keep any fish we go to one of the resivours that are stocked several time a year. I have never had a problem with barbles hook cutting a fish worse then a barbed hook but I have had problems getting a barbed hook out of a fish or my own hide and that convinced me to pinch down barbs.
Wyatt
Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

Before I tie I pinch down the barb and run the file over the point a few times. even commercially tied feel the rath of my needlenosed pliers and my file.

Most of the fish I target have slot/size limits and seasons. it makes it alot easier to dehook the fish, and return them safely to the water. I have never lost a fish due to a barbless/debarbed hook. very few times have there been torn mouths.