The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What practice do you use concerning barbed hooks?
Barbless 26 10.79%
Pinched down barb 118 48.96%
barbed hook 32 13.28%
Depends on situation 65 26.97%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 PM

doc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Touchy subject:Barbless or barbed

Here in Alberta, we don't have a choice. All hooks must be barbless according to the fishing regulations. Before the regulations came into affect, I would use barbless about 80% of the time. Always left the barbs on for hooks smaller then a #14 though. As far as damage, if you've ever had a barbed hook impaled into your skin, you know that removing a barbed hook causes more damage than removing a barbless hook. Same goes for trout. You could really see the damage causes in the mouths of our trout on some of our C&R streams like the Livingstone.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 01-07-2008, 01:31 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

If I can find barbless flies I'll use them, but I ususally just flatten the barbs on hooks.

Randy
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I have only ever used barbless hooks once. I was given
several extra barbless hooks on a pattern I learned during
a fly tying class I had taken. I have never purchased them &
more than likely never will. I most certainly would never deter
anyone from using them, if that's their choice. I was always
taught that if a fish is caught that I did not intend to keep,
that they are always treated carefully when extracting the
hook. I have never waivered from that teaching.

Tie One On
Old 01-07-2008, 01:18 PM

fatguide is on a distinguished road

I always pinch the barbs down on barbed hooks before I tie the fly. That way if the hook breaks while doing this I haven't waisted my time tying the whole fly. I have used barbless hooks and had problems with two fly rigs. I tie the dropper fly tippet directly to the bend of the first fly. Had problems with the knot sliding off the upper fly. The pinched down barb usually always leaves a little nub that keeps the knot from sliding off.

Just my .02

fish or DIE
Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I buy the Barbless, but I don't go out of my way to find them cause I will squish the barbs if they have them. The cop at a lake one year told me if his nail can catch anything on the bend it is not squished enough so I do make sure they are squished good.
Never had a dropper slide off, but I guess anything is possible.
I Always use barbless, even if not required.....why?! cause they are much easier to get out of myself, which has happened "once" too many times! LOL
Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I have come across about as many studies saying that barbed hooks are better for fish as I have saying humans have nothing to do with global warming, and I give them equal merit.

Barbless/pinched barb hooks penetrate better because the barb itself interferes with penetration. I find that barbless hooks are also easier to get free from underwater snags. (especially using the downstream bow technique)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I find that barbless hooks are also easier to get free from underwater snags. (especially using the downstream bow technique)
Cliff, how do you perform this technique? Just let enough line out to create a downstream bow in so the current pulls from the opposite direction? I'm always interested in reducing the lost fly count. Thank You.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:19 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
.....I find that barbless hooks are also easier to get free from underwater snags. (especially using the downstream bow technique)
that's an interesting topic probably deserving of it's own thread. how do you execute the downstream bow technique? when i'm snagged, i often let loose some fly line and allow the current to carry it downstream, hopefully the current's help wil free it, but it usually doesn't work.

what DOES work for me more often than not is to execute basically a roll cast over the snag, 2-3 roll casts over the snag almost always frees the fly. oops, we're deviating from the main subject now :-)

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Done.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

I cast (pun intended) a vote for 'barbless'. Sometimes when I purchase flies I must do away with the barbs, but then I consider them to be 'barbless' anyway.

Many of the rivers and streams I fish require barbless flies or lures, plus after so many years of fly-fishing and releasing fish my experience has been that little or no harm is done to the fish.

Almost 90% of the fish I release (which is about 99% of all the fish I catch in fresh water) I release underwater and almost never have to place my hands in contact with it.

Interesting about Alberta. I didn't realize that barbless hooks are required throughout. I've been only on the Bow and since all my flies are barbless I never gave it a thought.

BTW, as a footnote and completely Off Topic, I think this is a fine and informative forum. Each time I check out the topics I always manage to leave with additional items for my files.

Allen R