The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What practice do you use concerning barbed hooks?
Barbless 26 10.79%
Pinched down barb 118 48.96%
barbed hook 32 13.28%
Depends on situation 65 26.97%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 05:49 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Touchy subject:Barbless or barbed

Funny story!

I fished these two brothers one time. They were having a blast just teasing each other and razzing me. About 2 miles into a 12 mile float the one in the front makes a wild cast. Hooks me right in the back of the head, dead center. The brother in the back cuts the line for me but can't take the fly out. So I just tie on a new fly for his brother and start rowing. They are absolutely silent. They keep fishing but nobody talks. For the next six miles they don't utter more than a couple of words. Finally catch a friend of mine and pull up next to him in the middle of the river. Grab onto his raft, lean over and take my hat off to show him my problem. He reaches over with his leatherman and pops the fly out. I thank him and we spread out and start fishing. Those two brothers were speechless till about the last mile or so.

I really felt sorry for the one in the back of the boat. He had a hard time fishing while staring at that Yellow Stimulator in the back of my head. LOL. You guide enough and you get stuck!! Happens more with novices but it is not uncommon.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Davo,

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I see another thread on the same subject has been started.

Salt Water guides are really at risk. Between the wind and fish popping up from any direction the Salt Water guide faces real jeopardy. Not to mention the size of hooks used, the lack of Salt Water experience by the clients and the high perch the guide stands on..

Frank
Old 03-31-2008, 05:20 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Frank:

You are very right about Saltwater guides. I've poled my Dads flats boat a few times and been tempted by the urge to bail off that platform. LOL. Fishing from a boat with other occupants requires an angler pay attention to where their line is going.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish greg View Post
generally
when you hook a fish with a barbed hook penetration is normaly up to or around the barb.but with a barbles hook it can penerate right up to the bend of the hook.if the fish has engulfed the hook serious damage can be done by the deeper peneration into the tissue.
HUH?? This goes against every experience I've had catching fish on barbed hooks, in which cases the hook was penetrated well past the barb. I've always had to use a pair of pliers to rip the hook out because the barb catches on a piece of mouth flesh. A hook that's only penetrated up to the barb was not properly set in the first place and I'd wonder how the fish didn't throw a hook set only up to the barb. You mentioned that a barbless hook can come out during a fight and then re-penetrate at a different location. My experience is that if a fish is able to throw a hook, that fish is not likely to re-hook himself. If you set the hook properly, and keep tension on the line, the fish simply won't throw the hook. I'd even contend that since a barb makes it harder for a hook to penetrate a fish's mouth and get properly set, you're more likely to lose fish on a barbed hook than a barbless. If you're worried about a fish re-hooking himself with any hook at all--though with proper technique, and a fish feisty enough to throw a hook, I simply don't believe this happens--given that barbed hooks don't set as easily, the barbed hook would sink into multiple locations in a fish's mouth more often, and cause the excessive damage to which you alluded in an earlier post.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:09 PM

Doubletap is on a distinguished road

Pinched barbs for me - mostly because I rarely see manufactured barbless for tyeing in my local shops.

In BC, its strictly barbless in rivers and streams and in all tidal waters (the ocean).

The fact is that they work if catch and release is in the plan. All the rest of it is old wives tales. More damage? Less holding ability? Balderdash! I have caught, and have seen caught literally thousands of Coho Salmon (Silvers) to 22lbs and Chinook Salmon (Kings) to 76 lbs. These fish are big, heavy and the average battle on a 30 lb Chinook will run 30+ minutes in open ocean conditions (ie. not a river) with long, looong runs and many jumps - even the 40+ pounders.

The summation of this experiance is that barbless is superior to barbed. The hooking and holding ability is superior, and there is absolutely no comparison when hook damage to a released fish is compared. The barbed almost without exception (and there is always an exception) does more damage and is more difficult to remove. Sorry to those that liked to believe the wives' tales - those are the facts.

Just don't forget should you fish British Columbia - your hooks must be pinched when fishing streams, rivers and the ocean.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:54 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

SOME ADVICE... My brother and I thought of a great way to remove hooks from the mouth/throat of a bass if the hook is too deep to be removed in a timely manor. We bring a pair of wire cutters on the boat and just cut the hook at the bend if it is lodged too deep. Then you can remove each piece seperately. Granted these are single hooks and the fish have large mouths so it is pretty easy. Only problem is if it happens more than once or twice on an outing you'll go through hooks real fast.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 AM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatguide View Post
I always pinch the barbs down on barbed hooks before I tie the fly. That way if the hook breaks while doing this I haven't waisted my time tying the whole fly. I have used barbless hooks and had problems with two fly rigs. I tie the dropper fly tippet directly to the bend of the first fly. Had problems with the knot sliding off the upper fly. The pinched down barb usually always leaves a little nub that keeps the knot from sliding off.

Just my .02
I think I recently had a knot slide off the upper fly. I assumed I had just tied a bad knot, but maybe that wasn't the case. I, too, have thought that little nub is useful for just that reason.

No real horror stories with barbs. Like most anglers, I've had a few hooks in me, but nothing bad. The scariest was when I was spinfishing and caught a pike on a crankbait. While I was unhooking the back treble from him, he jerked and slammed the front treble into my thumb. That was a bad predicament, but it was short-lived and relatively painless.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I had a hook on the pond I thought, I should squish, but then I thought, awe heck it is an 18 it should be okay.
I got stuck in the grass, so I pulled a little, that hook flew right into my finger next to the nail.....If I had done what I originally thought, it would have been allot less painful.
My biggest complaint is TREBBLE hooks. Is it just me that thinks those things should be outlawed!.
Here is my Nephews leg from this weekend, and it wasn't even his hook. It was laying on a rock he sat on.

Click the image to open in full size.

Needless to say, this trip was shortened.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Touchy subject:Barbless or barbed

All the years I've guided on my home waters and throught other states I've stayed ( BARBLESS ) If you keep good pressure on the fish the chances of losing the fish is not likely to happen......... each to his own way of fishin'! We do our best not to hurt the Trout.....
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 PM

WANTONJ is on a distinguished road
Re: Touchy subject:Barbless or barbed

Barbless,pinched down,let me explain why,first if you throw a no drag slack line ,sometimes a fish will swallow it to the throat like Large Mouth Bass,it is very easy to remove it with no harm done, I have my own lake and have caught a lot of fish that way and all were safely released, you play the
fish with rod tip high and keep a firm line you wont loose very many,Florida Strain large mouth fight like linebackers on a football team,I have not noticed any tears in their mouths,what I do is pinch the very tip of the barb down easy with a round needle nose tackle pliers,it makes a little bumb but smooth,you dont want to break the barb off then it becomes ragged and sharp but does not have a barb,that could possibly tear their mouth,let me give you the other side of this,if they swallow a barbed hook cut the leader,the hook will rust out depending on the water 2 to 6 months,I have recaught many with the hook still in there throats from other people that were using barbed hooks,they were fat and it did not seem to slow down their feeding,I did some fish tagging to check fish growth both types no hooks in them and some with hooks stuck in their throats,I did not see any difference in growth.

have a good and safe day.

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service, Valley Springs Calif.