The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What practice do you use concerning barbed hooks?
Barbless 26 10.79%
Pinched down barb 118 48.96%
barbed hook 32 13.28%
Depends on situation 65 26.97%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 04:32 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default Re: Touchy subject:Barbless or barbed

this is a very touchy subject lol i try to pinch down all of my barbs. i dont do this because it is easier to remove the fly if the fish swallows it, i do this so when the fish is DIGESTING a swallowed hook, it has less of a chance of getting caught internally. a fish has a better chance of surviving if you dont rip a swallowed hook out. youre supposed to cut the line as close to the fly as possible if the fish swallowed it because a fish will most likely digest a hook. having said this, it is obviously better to set the hook right, but sometimes the fish just inhale it!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

Barbless. There is certainly some room for disagreement, but the consensus of studies show barbless protect fish "resulting in far fewer hooking scars and ripped mouth parts on the fish.' John Randolf Dec. 1994 Fly Fisherman. Having worked a lakeside urgent care for many years, there is no question which is easier to get out of fishermen. I have personally removed hundreds.

The easiest way to remove both barbless and barbed hooks, even ones burying the barb several millmiters is illustrated below and will work 95% of the time. The trick is giving the monofilament loop (to the right) a "brisk and confident" pull while firmly depressing the eye towards the skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comers loop240.jpg (8.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-22-2009, 05:14 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Right now I just use them how they come, but I am probably going to pinch them down when I start fishing for trout. But in all honesty it really doesn't matter what I do because I never catch anything.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:07 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekiu002 View Post
Right now I just use them how they come, but I am probably going to pinch them down when I start fishing for trout. But in all honesty it really doesn't matter what I do because I never catch anything.
What kind of fishing do you do? Trout, bass, bluegills, other. A lot of people on this forum can help you with the fish catching part. Ask some questions, you'll likely get some helpful answers.

Someone told me years ago: "think like a fish". Easy to say, not necessarily easy to do. But when you get to a stream, take a good look at it before you start to fish. Remember a few of simple things.

First, fish need to conserve their energy; they don't want to work too hard just to stay in the stream. So, you're apt to find them hanging out behind rocks, on the edges of seams (where water travelling at two different speeds comes together; in the slower moving water), deep in pools, etc. All places where they don't have to work too hard just to stay in their position. These places are generally called "lies"; places where fish lay or position themselves. The best places for fish to hang are called "preferred lies"; because the fish prefer to be there; life it good for them there.

Second, fish are almost constantly hungry. They like to hang in their lies and have the food brought to them; sort of like living next to a conveyer belt loaded with food; you just reach out and eat what looks good.

Third, fish are not Einstein-level thinkers. They tend to form habits and stick with them. One habit is their feeding pattern; particularly what they're interested in eating. For example, if there have been alot of nymphs of a certain species floating past them on their conveyer belt, then they get used to it and sort of semi-program themselves to eat the next thing that looks like (and will taste as good as) the last thing.

This last point takes you directly to what most people call "matching". You can match the hatch if there are hatching flies in the air, or you can match the nymphs and pupa that are floating underwater; prior to hatching into flies. "Match the hatch" simply sounds cooler to most people than matching the nymph, but in reality, it's all pretty much the same concept whether you're fishing on the surface with dry flies or fishing under the surface or in the film; at the interface between the water and the air, with nymphs, pupas, emergers, cripples, etc.

The last point is why it generally pays big dividends to take your time when you first get to the stream. Look around. Are their any flies in the air? If so, what do they look like? Can you see fish rising to eat them? If they are, do you have something in your fly box that looks like what you see in the air? If so, then tie it onto the lightest tippet that you think can handle the size fish that you're going for, and get it over to what you think might be a preferred lie.

If there's nothing in the air, then grab a small rock from the stream. Turn it over and have a look at what's attached to the bottom. This is where you'll find most of the nymphs. Again, if you have something in your fly box that looks like the nymphs that you saw on the bottom of the rock, then tie it on and put a small strike indicator on your leader; about 1 1/2 times the depth of the water that you'll be fishing away from the fly.

That's a rough 3-pointer. Good luck. Let us know if you start catching more fish.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Because the selection of barbless hooks is still limited I use both barbless and squashed barbs. My daughter got hooked in the back of the head once, that was enough to convince me that barbless were just as important to me as to the fish.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:14 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Touchy subject:Barbless or barbed

Well said, Pocono. I've not seen a more succinct explanation of reading the water and matching the "hatch".
Old 10-22-2010, 02:03 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

i always pinch my barbs down no matter what i am fishing for. As long as you have tight lines you shouldnt lose the fish and it gives the fish a fair chance. Plus i like to pinch them down just incase the fish inhales my fly i have a way better chance of getting it out. Anddddddddddd when you pinch them down theres a little bump that probally helps a little
Old 11-09-2010, 11:59 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough

When tying flies, I only buy barbless hooks. They are easier to remove from the mouth of a fish, myself, clothing, whatever they hook onto. When I buy flies, I try to pinch down the barbs, but it doesn't always go all the way down. I feel bad pulling roughly on the mouth of a fish.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:21 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
I always pinch down the barbs it makes them alot easier to pull out of the back of my neck. I am not really meat fishing and practice C&R 95% of the time and when i do keep fish it is only enough for a nice dinner for 2 people
pretty much that ^ Tight lines and no worries
There seems to be a $premium on barbless lures/flies...so, nice set of pliers I bought with round jaws, just waylays that barb-
Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Barbed, unless I have to mash them down.