The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What practice do you use concerning barbed hooks?
Barbless 26 10.79%
Pinched down barb 118 48.96%
barbed hook 32 13.28%
Depends on situation 65 26.97%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 01:10 PM
ROVER is on a distinguished road
Default Touchy subject:Barbless or barbed

We'll i searched briefly hopefully this is the first poll on barbed vs. barbless hooks.

It's a very contraversial subject for many, but I wanted to get an accurate measure of hook practices the fly fishers use on this forum.

So what do you do about hooks?

Click the image to open in full size.
VS.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:08 PM
ROVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Touchy subject:Barbless or barbed

Don't be afraid to speak up people. Just because someone does something different than you doesn't mean your wrong. No one is going to condemn you for saying you use or don't use barbs.

Personally, i like to pinch the barb when going for smaller trout or panfish. However, when i go for steelhead or larger river fish like catfish or bass, i like to use a barbed hook.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I always pinch down the barbs it makes them alot easier to pull out of the back of my neck. I am not really meat fishing and practice C&R 95% of the time and when i do keep fish it is only enough for a nice dinner for 2 people
Old 01-06-2008, 02:46 PM

irish greg is on a distinguished road

I PERSONALLY Never use barbless hooks for two reasons firstly they penertrate further in a fishes mouth or throat and do more damage.secondaly a barbless hook in my experince will destroy a fishes mouth through movment.i have had fish with near 1 inch tears in the mouth from barbless hooks.never happens with barbed hooks.when the go in they stay in place.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 PM

AnglerJS74 is on a distinguished road

Well since I've never used a barbless hook or even a pinched down version I would have to say 'barbed', however I voted 'depends on' since I now plan on trying the pinched down version. I do on occasion keep fish to eat but only on an extended camping/fishing trip and even then I'll only keep one for myself per dinner.... releasing the rest. That being the case I plan to make it easier on/less damaging on the fish I catch. I would have started this practice sooner but to be quite honest I had never even heard of using a barbless/pinched hook until I moved to California.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:51 PM

AnglerJS74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish greg View Post
I PERSONALLY Never use barbless hooks for two reasons firstly they penertrate further in a fishes mouth or throat and do more damage.secondaly a barbless hook in my experince will destroy a fishes mouth through movment.i have had fish with near 1 inch tears in the mouth from barbless hooks.never happens with barbed hooks.when the go in they stay in place.
Now I'm really confused....
Old 01-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I always pinch the barbs or use barbless hooks.

If you keep proper tension on the fish your chances of losing it are small, they do come out so much easier and cause much less damage to the mouth of the fish.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-06-2008, 03:09 PM

irish greg is on a distinguished road

js74
you are confused a barbless hook can move in a fishes mouth while you are playing it and rehook it self in another part of the mouth.sometimes while moving it tears the mouth of the fish.i probaly have not explained it properly.a lot depends on the species of fish and the softness or hardness of the mouth tissue.but after seeing the damage it can do.if i owned a fishery i would never allow barbless hooks to be used.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I also totally disagree with this theory.

In my opinion you cause more damage to a fish trying to dislodge a barbed hook, it take more force and if you do hook a fish deep your in for a chore more often than not.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-06-2008, 03:19 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i don't understand, how does a barbed hook not penetrate more (or less) than a barbless hook? and once the fish is hooked, the part in contact with its mouth is the same bend of the hook whether barbed or barbless. with correct tension on the line, the barb shouldn't play a role in "fighting" the fish. if slack occurs and the hok backs out a minute amount, wouldn't the barb cause some bodily damage to the fish?

in my flyfishing over the past 5-6 years, i can't recall anytime a fly has been taken into the throat by a fish. granted, i fish for trout in streams and rivers and most of the time with dries or emergers but have started using nymphs. the dozen or so LM bass i've caught with streamers, nymphs and poppers have all been at the lip of the fish or corner of the mouth.

i generally buy my flies and 98% or so are barbed and i pinch them down with smooth needlenosed pliers as soon as i open the package or container at home. if there's a bit left, i'll use a small file if i can. i once had a large stimulator embed in my right hand with a pinched down barb and the ever so small slightly discernable remnant was enough to cause a problem and had to do minor surgery cutting through my skin with my left hand which cemented for me the need for barbless. and once i hook into a fish, if it comes loose (rarely) good for him or her. i consider that part of the challenge and need for skill on my part.

i've started tying a couple of patterns myself and always go for the barbless version. they're the same price as the barbed version and are so much smoother in releasing. i just don't see the need for barbs in my case.

eric
fresno, ca.