The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Simms Waders

Thanks very much. Great advice from all. I'll keep all of the points in mind on my next trip to the local tackle shop.
1move likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simms Waders

One more thing to add, the G4's have been updated for 2013 and are using a lighter Gore Tex material, so depending on size needed and availability, you might just find the 2012 models on sale for not all that much more than the G3's.

I've said it before, nothing I've tried breathes better than Gore Tex and that translates into comfort for me. I am often in my boots for 12 hours a day, so I appreciate the comfort the G3's provide me.

Outside of proper care which includes drying them inside and out, storing them out of the heat of a car, rolling them up, an occasional wash/DWR treatment, one of the biggest factors to durability is the fit. Get a pair that fits you right--whatever the brand--and consider the amount of layers you'd typically use when you buy them.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Jaybo's got it NAILED. Only two types of gear I'd never consider buying on line (without trying on first) are waders and boots (hell, any shoe for that mater).

fae
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Not sure what model of Simms I've got but sure they are NOT the G-3 or G-4. What I can say is I've used them for five years. I feel comfortable saying I wear them 45+ days a year. They have yet to let me down, no leaks, no drips, no runs. I do not bushwack with them but don't take it easy either. You stay in thorns long enough you will feel the prick of a thorn. They are not intended for that kind of abuse; I say that knowing people do that and get by with it. Says a lot about Simms.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
One more thing to add, the G4's have been updated for 2013 and are using a lighter Gore Tex material, so depending on size needed and availability, you might just find the 2012 models on sale for not all that much more than the G3's.

I'.
Yeah, that is the deal I got last August. I did not know the difference and I am glad I have the thicker pair as I use them for streelhead.

Also, as Jaybo states fit is critical. Simms offers many combinations of size. Just follow their instructions and you should get a pair that fits perfect. I am of Welsh blood meaning my shoulders are wider than my legs are long, and Simms had a pair that fit perfect.
jaybo41 likes this.