The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?
Vinyl rain jacket/poncho (non specific to fly fishing) 1 0.92%
Polyster rain jacket/poncho (non specific to fly fishing) 2 1.83%
Nylon rain jacket/poncho (non specific to fly fishing) 9 8.26%
Gore-tex rain jacket/poncho (non specific to fly fishing) 10 9.17%
Gore-tex Equivalent rain jacket/poncho (non specific to fly fishing) 6 5.50%
Vinyl fly fishing wading jacket 4 3.67%
Polyster fly fishing wading jacket 1 0.92%
Nylon fly fishing wading jacket 6 5.50%
Gore-tex fly fishing wading jacket 30 27.52%
Gore-tex Equivalent fly fishing wading jacket 23 21.10%
Frogg Toggs 7 6.42%
Plastic Trash Bag 0 0%
Al Naturale' (Nothing) 7 6.42%
Other 5 4.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 02:33 PM

flynick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?

As of now i use a junky nylon jacket I picked up at Bass pro. It gets the job done keeping me dry. Recently went to a trade show and saw these two young guys from this new company Hatchfly...they make waxed cotton wading jackets that are completely waterproof and very functional/stylish...they said they will hopefully be on the market in september or so...so be on the lookout..seemed legit
Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynick View Post
waxed cotton wading jackets that are completely waterproof
Wondering how breathable a waxed jacket would be?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 AM

im imagining breathablity is not at its best considering the jacket is coated with polyurethane and wax...but to be honest...breathable isnt always better, i tend to find that breathable jackets let out too much heat and cause one to be cold, which can also happen if you sweat too much..just the downsides of the pasttime we all love
Old 03-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynick View Post
. . . to be honest...breathable isn't always better, i tend to find that breathable jackets let out too much heat and cause one to be cold . . .
You've got a good point. Since I intentionally only fly-fish in warmer conditions (if I haven't mis-judged the conditions ), not sweating under outerwear is my main concern.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

My breathable Tailwater is fantastic. Definitely no heat loss and no sweating. But, it is the same material as my waders. If they can block out the wind, you can stay warm.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I use my raincoat more for wind protection during the Spring and Fall with proper layering for wicking away moisture and heat retention.
Have not been in conditions where sweating and moisture retention are a big problem as of yet.

Only use it during the Summer for the occasional afternoon thunderstorm that usually leaves as quickly as they appear, then the raincoat goes back in the boat.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 AM

as someone from the northeast, who spends most of their time fishing in unpleasant conditions...layering is absolutely the most important thing..if your layers wick away sweat than no matter how breathable or not your jacket it youll be fine...had to learn this lesson the hard way
Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 AM

rodbender73 is on a distinguished road

I would be wary of waxed cotton. As it is a good water repellant product it has issues with protecting you at warmer tempertures and the lifespan of the wax coating is not very long. Waxed cotton also becomes somewhat rigid at cold temperatures. The best fabric that is similar to waxed cotton is oilcloth. It doesn't become nearly as rigid when cold and the waterproof treatment lasts significantly longer. I would still suggest looking at DryAngler where they sell Drift Creek Outdoors. I've been nothing but impressed with their jackets.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

I checked the "Other" box.

Hardys® waxed-cotton.

Allen R
Old 12-27-2008, 12:46 PM

Question Re: What Rain Gear/Wading Jacket do you use?

As the owner of a "GoreTex equivalent", and noting that there are nearly equal numbers in that and the GoreTex category, I'm curious what those who have owned both think about the comparative difference between the two, related to price?

Thanks in advance, & Happy New Year!