The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 05:39 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Waders

I have picked up some valuable info when I asked about waders and the best ones to buy but I am interested to know if the majority of owners wear their waders from the house or from the car to their favorite spot. Are waders comfortable enough to wear in the car while driving from fishing spot to spot, which is sometimes 30 to 45 minutes. The off and on business would seem to be a real pain. What do people do?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waders

I'll wear mine in the car between fishing spots. Comfortable might be stretching it but it's fine. If I'm driving far enough to want something really comfortable I'd just take them off anyways.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I generally put them on once I reach my first spot for the day and then keep them on until I get home. I guess at the end of a long day fishing, I just want to get home.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

If it is pouring or snowing really hard, I will put them on at home. I have never been uncomfortable in them while driving.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Author, Dave Hughes, wrote the following in one of his angling books, An Angler's Astoria, on flyfishing:

Do not expect to know it all at once. Take the time to learn the rivers, and the fish and this new way of taking them. Above all, learn to pee before you put on your waders. It will save much discomfort later in the day.

I have a different enjoyable ritual for immediately after I take my waders off. Cheers!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

I will drive between areas wearing them, but that’s not all that common here. We tend to walk in a half hour to two hours and fish our way back out. Often hiking in with our wading boots and waders in a day pack. About half the year, we wet wade in flats pants and wading boots.

One little tip that might save you some heartache someday, depending on the areas you intend to fish. Think about pulling over some place well away from your intended fishing access area then wader up and rig up there. Then drive the rest of the way to your fishing desitination...grab your gear and go.

Some anglers take an inordinate amount of time rigging and wadering up, with rod tubes and gear bags laying about the ground and vehicle. This acts as a prolonged advertisement of what’s in your vehicle to bad guys who might be watching known parking areas that anglers frequent. It also serves to give them a pretty idea that you won’t be coming back to the vehicle any time soon

Grab and go…..avoid an audience.
TT
Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
Author, Dave Hughes, wrote the following in one of his angling books, An Angler's Astoria, on flyfishing:

Do not expect to know it all at once. Take the time to learn the rivers, and the fish and this new way of taking them. Above all, learn to pee before you put on your waders. It will save much discomfort later in the day.

I have a different enjoyable ritual for immediately after I take my waders off. Cheers!
I sooooo hear you. Taking a 'wizz' on the river bank is no big deal,** other 'issues' take some pre-planning.

** Well for a Guy anyway.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:29 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
I will drive between areas wearing them, but that’s not all that common here. We tend to walk in a half hour to two hours and fish our way back out. Often hiking in with our wading boots and waders in a day pack. About half the year, we wet wade in flats pants and wading boots.

One little tip that might save you some heartache someday, depending on the areas you intend to fish. Think about pulling over some place well away from your intended fishing access area then wader up and rig up there. Then drive the rest of the way to your fishing desitination...grab your gear and go.

Some anglers take an inordinate amount of time rigging and wadering up, with rod tubes and gear bags laying about the ground and vehicle. This acts as a prolonged advertisement of what’s in your vehicle to bad guys who might be watching known parking areas that anglers frequent. It also serves to give them a pretty idea that you won’t be coming back to the vehicle any time soon

Grab and go…..avoid an audience.
TT
Great advise, as a newbie to fly fishing, I appreciate your feedback. Thanks Trout
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

TT's advise is solid. That's pretty much how I do it too but it also depends on how many days I'm fishing.

I've got a 2 hour drive for steelhead and I'll often stay over a few days. I'm usually the first one there and have my fishing pack all loaded up before I get there. I've got my base layers on under street clothes so throw on other layers, waders/boots, lace up the rod and I'm on my way. When I have a day trip, I'll sometimes pull into a rest stop and get my waders on before I get there and change afterwards.

Once I'm to my destination for a few days of fishing, it's easy. I get ready at the model, drive to my location then lace the rod up and I'm ready to hike. I also leave my boots on between spots. They come off only at the end of the day. This is one of the reasons I value a comfortable pair of waders. Breathability and fit are essential for me.

The trout/smallmouth streams I fish are local enough and there is plenty of isolation for me to change in/out of wading gear. I pull the cover over the cargo area of my Jeep before I head out. Always. Rod tubes bags, everything goes back there.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

All good advice but one thing hasn't been mentioned. If you get into the habit of always waiting until at the river to put the waders on, there is a much higher risk of stepping on a sharp rock or small piece of glass and puncturing them.

Dave