The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 03:08 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice
Default advertisement????

Having been in the fly fishing business in one manner or another since I was 12 (I'm now pushing 68) I've seen a lot of good band and ugly done in advertisement.

Does anyone remember the show "Bewitched" in which the husband was an ad man? They often bungled an ad and had to convince the client that the ad was good.

After all,what is the #1 aim of an ad man? To sell product? Nope to convince the client that the ad is selling the poduct!

So keeping that in mind let's take a look at obnoxious ads!
I doubt that anyone enjoys getting bombarded by an obnoxious a on the TV or radioin fact I've often (very often) changed the channel or stopped watching/listening to a program when some idiot starts screaming in my ear or offending my sense of decency. I've taken polls at shows about the effect of annoying ads on their purchasing and found that far and away more people are turned off from buying a prodct than are persuaded to buy it.

However, keeping Vladimar Lenin in mind (Tell a lie long enough and with enough convicion and people will believe it) advertisement people have fallen prey to believing their own propaganda for so long and teachng it to new stdents of advertisement that they actually believe it.

I found in my polls that more than half of the people I met were turned off by annoying ads and I never found a person who would admit to buying something because the ad was annoying.

Of those people with which I talked about it, I found the the more intelligent the person appeared, he more he was turned off by the ad.

I's like to find out on forums if this hold true.

How many of you guys bought something because an ad was annoying and how many of you were turned off by an ad?

Jack
Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 PM

mridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant future
Default Re: advertisement????

I rarely even see an ad. With the advent of DVR, most shows that I plan to watch are recorded and I fast forward through the ads. I now try to find regular people that use a product I am considering to hear their experiences rather than company propaganda and brainwashing.

I have to confess that I'd never consider Progressive Insurance though because Flo is so obnoxious. I imagine trying to file a claim and having to deal with her...lol. No way!
Old 01-12-2015, 03:29 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
i rarely even see an ad. With the advent of dvr, most shows that i plan to watch are recorded and i fast forward through the ads. I now try to find regular people that use a product i am considering to hear their experiences rather than company propaganda and brainwashing.

I have to confess that i'd never consider progressive insurance though because flo is so obnoxious. I imagine trying to file a claim and having to deal with her...lol. No way!
ditto on that one, can you imagine having to live under the same bridge with her?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Best fly rod ad ever
"Unmatched lifting power" !

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip tide View Post
best fly rod ad ever
"unmatched lifting power" ! :d

i wouldn't consider that obnoxious, i'd say it's entertaining.
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfglen View Post
i wouldn't consider that obnoxious, i'd say it's entertaining.
Why dwell on obnoxious? That only stirs the pot.
Unless I'm mistaken, this sub-forum is dedicated to "Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics."
I never once saw Darrin Stevens out fly fishing, Flo either
Old 01-12-2015, 04:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfglen View Post
ditto on that one, can you imagine having to live under the same bridge with her?
A dozen 'impure thought' just went through my mind. I need to think about those again.
cab likes this.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Why dwell on obnoxious? That only stirs the pot.
Unless I'm mistaken, this sub-forum is dedicated to "Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics."
I never once saw Darrin Stevens out fly fishing, Flo either
I'm only asking these questions because I'm sometimes asked by people in the fishing business about ad campaigns.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:04 PM

labradorguy has much to be proud oflabradorguy has much to be proud oflabradorguy has much to be proud oflabradorguy has much to be proud oflabradorguy has much to be proud oflabradorguy has much to be proud oflabradorguy has much to be proud oflabradorguy has much to be proud oflabradorguy has much to be proud of

I was annoyed that I was not out on the beach helping this poor girl work on her stroke. I was also annoyed that my girlfriend was eating too much pizza and not doing enough Zumba. I now have 5 new Hardy reels AND a new girlfriend.

Thanks Howard.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 01-12-2015, 05:16 PM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

I can live with ads like Hardy's !!
hairwing530 likes this.