The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How do you primarily get to the fish? Select all that apply.
Wade / Shore fish 41 91.11%
Use a Pontoon Boat or Float Tube 9 20.00%
Use a Kayak or Canoe 8 17.78%
Use a power or flats boat 3 6.67%
Use a drift boat or whitewater raft 4 8.89%
Use a pram or Jon boat 2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By benjohnson41
  • 1 Post By wademaster
  • 1 Post By siege
  • 2 Post By cab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 PM

tcorfey has a spectacular aura abouttcorfey has a spectacular aura about
Default How do you get to the fish?

In full disclosure, I personally have several types of watercraft both human driven and motor driven which I use to fish various water. Being that I live on the coast in California, naturally I fish the ocean, the bays, and the delta, but over the last few years I have been drawn inland to lakes, ponds, rivers and streams. In the last couple of years instead of using one of my boats I tend to wade a river or stream. However, being it is still winter I have been thinking I would like to use my boats more this year and I was curious what others use to get to the fish. Hence this poll.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:08 PM

benjohnson41 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do you get to the fish?

Aside from hiking and wading, I'll be using my newly acquired kayak to gain access to some small lakes, ponds, and slower moving rivers.
wademaster likes this.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:23 AM

wademaster is a jewel in the roughwademaster is a jewel in the roughwademaster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjohnson41 View Post
Aside from hiking and wading, I'll be using my newly acquired kayak to gain access to some small lakes, ponds, and slower moving rivers.

X2 ^^^

Sent from my kayak...
benjohnson41 likes this.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly I wade but I have an NFO Rampage pontoon that I like to use, but it is more of a taxi to get to one fishy spot then I wade fish for awhile, then get back in and move down river to the next spot. I also have a drift boat, but I usually will only use that when I fishing with friends.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:57 PM

siege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond repute

Our family fleet consists of 3 9' pontoon boats, and 3 float tubes. We wade creeks and rivers, tube around in ponds, and take the 'toons out on lakes and reservoirs. My younger son caught his first big trout on a fly rod from a pontoon boat on Henry's Lake. That memory will stay with him forever.
smilingduck likes this.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:20 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

A 2008 Nissan Frontier.

Then I walk.

CAB
Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM

bigspencer is on a distinguished road

1) Study maps....
2) Competent vehicle(clearance, tires..etc)
3) pick what type of water you want to try...
4) Find insect/hatch info...
5a) Get in touch with a local shop or anyone that would have insect/hatch info, if possible
5b) Get into organizations to acquire target waters/fish/hatch...info.

2000 Nissan Xterra....does most of the job, but it helps if you know the territory..

then I walk...sometimes portage..

Last edited by bigspencer; 04-20-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:09 PM

mikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant future

Spring, late fall, winter primarily wade moving water. Summer, early fall I spend all the time I can in my tube. Winter is also drift boat time for steelhead when possible.