The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: If you could pick just one fly to fish with for the next year whish would you chose?
Dry Fly 43 21.83%
Wet Fly 17 8.63%
Nymph 74 37.56%
Streamer 63 31.98%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 10:38 AM

FGFlyguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which fly would you choose

Nobody's said it yet, so I will. When all else fails, the go to for me is the red San Juan Worm. It gets 'em everytime.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 AM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Just a #14 adams is all i ever use, Kills em everytime.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2008, 08:40 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

In 30yrs. of Flyfishing and using just about every fly on the market I've found one fly thats always has landed me Trout when all others have failed. ( Mr.Copper ) has landed us alot of fish since we tested it 5yrs. ago..... Streamers are flyfishers best friend because of its movements and mimics so many food sources...... crawfish,leeches,baitfish, sculpins etc. This of coarse dosn't mean that none of the other flies will work as well but your chances are better then some! I've studied Entomology for a good long time and its very interesting on how and why trout feed the way they do.......just my 2 cents worth.....
Lambster
Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A Nine Three, if you aren't familiar with this pattern look it up you may like them. Easy to tie and very effective from spring Creek PA to here and all points in between.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 AM

Hakai is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Hakai

If I had to pick only one fly it would have to be the Chironomid !
The Chironomid is a staple food source for the rainbow trout in most of the interior lakes of British Columbia. The insect is available year round in three of it's four life stages, but nothing gets the rainbows going on a feeding frenzy like the chironomid does when it hatches from a pupa to an adult!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
Just a #14 adams is all i ever use, Kills em everytime.
I love the Adams & usually carry a box of them in all different sizes, but in this case I would have to go with a Hares ear Nymph & if I could sneak one in my pocket an Adams.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:38 AM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

Gotta be a dry. I might not catch as many, and they may not be as big. But I would never trade the excitement I get from watching the take.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Pavel will become famous soon enough

Dry fly. This is the most exciting time of the year for me when the dry flies are very productive(Light Cahill).
Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
If you could pick just one fly to fish with for the next year which would you chose?
Your ? asks which fly... your poll options offer types of flies... so I'm really gonna stir it up a bit... stay with me.

If I could only fish one fly it would be either the Kennebago Muddler, or the Picket Pinn depending on what/where my big plans for the season were. The real beauty of these flies is they look like so many things depending on how you fish them (and what size you use... I can have multiple sizes can't I???), and they can both be fished very effectively dry, wet, nymphing or as a streamer. I really love taking them out west and being ask "what's THAT?" by guides who then inform me that they won't catch anything... and then eating crow soon after asking if I have a spare they can have to tie to...

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 04-25-2009, 04:16 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

I have to go with a streamer, as they are productive year round, if fished properly, which isn't hard. Though I have a hard time nailing down a specific fly, it would probally be a bucktail streamer, a you can fish them deep, shallow, slow, fast, they're easy to tie, don't cost much to ie eiher, and can be tinkered with to mimic just about any fish species ya got. And think about it. If yor fishing for fish, theirs gonna be fish around, so its a perfect choice for any water you can ever go to, even if you don't know a lick about stream etomolligy(or however you spell that).