The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: If you could pick just one fly to fish with for the next year whish would you chose?
Dry Fly 43 21.83%
Wet Fly 17 8.63%
Nymph 74 37.56%
Streamer 63 31.98%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Which fly would you choose

oldy but goody, and i'm glad this one got brought back to life.
if you put me on a river, or lake that i knew nothing about and said you may have one fly i would take a black wooly bugger every time.

ARFE

Last edited by caseywise; 01-04-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I love me some size 16 black beetle fishing...but it has its limitations. I caught trout on the foam beetle in early november in PA last year, I saw a couple of rises to who knows what, so I threw on a beetle and caught a couple.

Gun to my head though, Nymph. Doesn't even have to be anything special. Most of a trouts diet is 5/8 of an inch long and fuzzy.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Whish would I fish...A PT Nymph!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I voted for nymph, but if I could only fish one fly all year round, it would be a copper john. I have caught more fish in the river, and lakes with a copper john than any other fly. I have said before, it may be a confidence thing, but copper johns work for me, not always, sometimes the fish are very selective, but, more times than not, if I don't have the exact fly I need a copper john in the right size will catch something.

d
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 AM

adams14 is on a distinguished road

Streamer here. Muddler in specific. I can fish it high,weighted,swing it or rip it. In the past it has saved the day when the spring streams are colored and churned. Make it a traditional pattern with lots of tinsel and I'll get by for the year. If I have to. Sheese! One fly. Gives me chills just thinking about it.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:27 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

I would have to go with a good ol wolly bugger. You can catch just about anything you want on them and they produce big fish, for me at least.

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 03-26-2011, 02:34 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Bead head Prince Nymph. I've hooked more fish on this fly than all the other flies I've tossed combined.

fae
Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

If we're not talking about subsistence fishing, then I'd use a stimulator. Probably a size 16 yellow and orange, or one of my purple haze-lators in size 12. I like stims because they are an attractor pattern, they can be fished as a dry or a wet, and I just love the violent strikes, especially from fish over 18 inches. It's like they've got murder in their ectothermic hearts . . . makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside . . . God bless 'em.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow I missed this thread the first time around!
Streamer for me, it brings out the big boys to play! Right now I'm favoring the big articulated streamers.

Davo: I didn't see where you answered Frank's question about favoring the JJ Special in a beadhead version or not, I'd like to also know. I know you throw sink tips, do you also like weighted streamers?

Larry

Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Streamer

Simiseal Leech