The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: If you could pick just one fly to fish with for the next year whish would you chose?
Dry Fly 43 21.83%
Wet Fly 17 8.63%
Nymph 74 37.56%
Streamer 63 31.98%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Which fly would you choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Davo,

Is this the JJ special you are talking about or do you like a bead head version?

Frank

High Country Flies JJ Special
Click the image to open in full size.
Larry

Thanks for pointing out my inattention. I missed this question. Bad form for the pollster!!

Frank

That is the JJ Special to which I was referring. I do like it in weighted versions. I have fished it in bead and cone head styles as well as gold dumb bell eyes. All work well but I tend to favor the cone head style. It adds some sparkle to the fly and not too much weight. Since I started using a full sink class V line for my streamer fishing I don't use a lot of weight on the flies. When I used a floating line I tied a version we called the bullet head. This consisted of putting a cone head followed by a bead followed by another cone head reversed on a #2 3x long streamer hook. Weighs about the same as a 9mm bullet, and looks like one too. Really got the fly down, but bad casting hurt, take one of those to the back of the head and you'll feel like you got shot!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 PM

bmfa is on a distinguished road

Beadhead Prince nymph in size 16.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 AM

dt doug will become famous soon enoughdt doug will become famous soon enough

Think I'd have to go with a Muddler Minnow with a red under wing. Prob. a #10. Fish it dry, dead drift, swing it like a streamer. Trout, bass, panfish, good all round fly.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 PM

masterpuppet is on a distinguished road

just learning this mad sport so I have no clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM

hatchandrise is on a distinguished road

Hare's ear
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 AM

Krebster is on a distinguished road

Beadhead Pheasant Tail Nymph. If I had to choose one size it would be a 16.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Good poll, Davo. A classic.

Dry fly would the most limiting, hands down. And if you are talking about a single pattern, then it gets really limiting for the ability to catch fish changing situations. If I had to it would either be a parachute Adams or Turk's.

Wet fly is successful in more situations; under a hatch, greased and floated, searching pattern, weighted and sunk...a PT soft hackle is often my go to fly in a number of situations but still, for one pattern on the year, I will pass.

Nymphs can be fished year 'round. On the bottom or near the surface. Naturals are always available. A stonefly nymph is a good year round choice. But I'd want something I could fish under summer mayfly and caddis hatches, so it would have to be a smallish Hare's Ear nymph for me. Does the San Juan count as a nymph? Hmmm....

But I chose streamer. It can be fished in damn near any season at any time of day or night. I know that I would be driven crazy by rising fish for an entire year but by chosing a Muddler type pattern I could catch some fish on the surface during hopper season and maybe at night, greased and stripped like a mouse!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

WOW!! It's been over three years since I put this poll up back when I first joined the forum. I just want to say thanks to everybody for taking the time to participate. Also thanks for all the folks that posted they reasoning for voting as they have. Really appreciate it!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-03-2011, 01:40 PM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

It would definitely be a wooly bougger, but what size would be the issue.....do I want to give up fishing in the iwnter when a size 2 or bigger would scare a lot of the trout I might catch, or do I want to fish a smaller WB for smallies in the summer......decisions decisions
Old 08-03-2011, 01:57 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
WOW!! It's been over three years since I put this poll up back when I first joined the forum. I just want to say thanks to everybody for taking the time to participate. Also thanks for all the folks that posted they reasoning for voting as they have. Really appreciate it!!
Ha! I didn't realize it was that old, just saw it under the 'new posts'...as for the reasoning behind my ranking, well, I'm bored and have fishin on the mind...