The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: When swinging flies how do you weight down your presentation?
I use weighted flies (lead body, bead, etc…) 16 59.26%
I use split shot 7 25.93%
I use moldable weight (putty) 3 11.11%
I use a weighted line i.e. sink tip, Poly leader, etc... 14 51.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 PM

tcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the rough
Default Swinging flies (How do you weigh it down)

So I have been doing some more swinging of flies (wets, nymphs, streamers) and nymphing without an indicator. I started with weighted flies, then added split shot, then replaced shot with moldable tungsten, and currently just bought some polyleaders from Airflo.

I thought it would make a interesting poll to see what others are using.
You can have multiple answers.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:57 PM

itchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant future
Default Re: Swinging flies (How do you weigh it down)

It really depends on what you're going for... Are trout feeding to a hatch? Then little to no weight. I have some soft hackles that I've added beads to but mainly now tie beadless and add weight to the line. I've yet to really play with poly leaders as I've just really gotten into swinging this year.

I'll let you know how the putty works out when I get back from Yellowstone as that's it's sole purpose for being bought.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 PM

tcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the rough

What I liked about the putty was the ability to move it in different places on the leader, shaping it torpedo style (less hang ups) and the ability to adjust weight easily. What I did not like (same as split shot) is it causes a slight hinge in the cast which I counter by opening up my loop. I am thinking that the poly leaders will get rid of that hinge effect which should improve my accuracy.
mcnerney, fredaevans and itchmesir like this.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud of

The last few years I have been swinging more and more wet flies. If swinging lighter weight flies, I use our thread reinf. "Wet Fly Leaders". If swinging heavier weighted flies, I have a variety of sinking heads I have built using
RIO T8, T11, T14, etc.

I Typically use 36" reinf leaders on sinking lines and 50" leaders on floating lines. The ability of line mending / line control one can achieve with a thread furled leader is impressive.

wet fly leader link below.

First Three people to Private message me their address, I will send a wet fly leader to play with. Let me know 36" or 50".

https://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.c...er-detail.html

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Blog: http://furledleader.blogspot.com/
Old 08-05-2015, 12:19 AM

Mike that is interesting, I will look in to it further.

You just reminded me about a story I read about (I think) Joe Humphreys that used to tie in sections of leadcore line into his leaders for nymphing.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:28 PM

cab is just really nicecab is just really nicecab is just really nicecab is just really nice

Went fishing with Ard (Hardyreels) in AK, he uses an interesting rig. A bit of leader, a short sink tip, short leader, tippet. All looped one to the other, makes for quick changes if need be. He claims this method uses less weight to get down.

The only swinging I've done is with streamers, and just use weighted flies. What I find a surprise is how deep I don't need to go to catch fish.

HTH,
CAB
Hardyreels, mcnerney and rockriver like this.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud of

Pertaining to the promotion we were running...

First Three people to Private message me their address, I will send a wet fly leader to play with. Let me know 36" or 50".

We received a bunch of wet fly Leader request's. We will be shipping these leaders out in Fridays mail to the first three people whom sent their address in to us. I apologize to the participants that got their message in after the first three.

We will be running similar promotions in the future.

Thanks for the positive responses.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Blog: http://furledleader.blogspot.com/
Old 08-06-2015, 01:57 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

I use all of the methods named depending upon the circumstances.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:24 PM

stenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post

So I have been doing some more swinging of flies (wets, nymphs, streamers) and nymphing without an indicator.
Wets, nymphs, streamers... three (3) completely different categories of flies and fishing styles in my book.

Since you mentioned swinging flies, I typically associate that with true wet flies as in; winged wets, soft hackles, and flymphs. I am partial to soft hackles and flymphs and fish them quite often. For these types of flies my answer would be none, no weight, ever (not even a bead). The only tinkering that I do with weight is that some are tied on light wire hooks and some on 2X heavy hooks... usually fish them in tandem with one on each type of hook.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-10-2015, 06:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
The last few years I have been swinging more and more wet flies. If swinging lighter weight flies, I use our thread reinf. "Wet Fly Leaders". If swinging heavier weighted flies, I have a variety of sinking heads I have built using
RIO T8, T11, T14, etc.

I Typically use 36" reinf leaders on sinking lines and 50" leaders on floating lines. The ability of line mending / line control one can achieve with a thread furled leader is impressive.

wet fly leader link below.

https://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.c...er-detail.html
Big thumbs up to furled leaders, most of my rods have been 'retro-fitted' to these. One thing to keep in mind with these is 'One size does NOT fit all!' They appear (regardless of length) to be limited to two line sizes. If you go this way be sure to have a 'tippet ring' at the end. Your leader goes on the 'ring' and then to your hook. Need to change tippet just nip it off at the ring and put new stuff on.

With rare exception all my fishing is done on a river for Steelhead or Pacific Salmon so the flies are always weighted to one degree or another. One box is your basic feather covered anvils. These are for heavy flows (doubt they will see the light of day for months) and I work down to bead heads (low or shallow water). The rod/line you're using will dictate how heavy/size of the fly. The exception to this is the occasional poly leader, they have their place but the above is actually more effective.

As for lines, those I've got lots of but will little exception I'll stick to a floating line and match the fly to the water conditions.

fae
tcorfey likes this.