The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What category of fly fishing best describes you?
Never Tried It: I just browse NAFFF to see what all the excitement is about. 0 0%
Newbie: Recently decided to try fly fishing, but still more proficient in other forms of fishing. 4 8.70%
Seasonal, type I: I fly fish spring & fall only (summer heat and/or harsh winters play a role here) 1 2.17%
Seasonal, type II: I fly fish spring & summer (fall is for hunting, winter for other) 1 2.17%
Part Time, type I: I fly fish 25% or less regardless of season as I prefer other forms of fishing. 1 2.17%
Part Time, type II: I fly fish most of the time, but still enjoy the occasional departure. 8 17.39%
Full Time: I fly fish 100% of my fishing outings and the rest of my fishing gear collects dust. 27 58.70%
Other Category: Explain Below… 4 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2015, 02:02 PM

stenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant future
Default Angler Category

A special report recently posted by Yikes illustrated quite well that overall in the US, fly fishing is the least popular form of fishing: http://takemefishing.org/uploadedFil...hing_FINAL.pdf

While I have no doubt that this is true... I also have no doubt that here on NAFFF, fly fishing is probably the most popular form of fishing!

And while I have no reason to dive into the demographics, I am a bit curious as to what category you would place yourself into? This can be tricky as speaking for myself, using the poll references, I was a Seasonal type I before moving to Utah in 2010. Then I quickly transitioned to Part Time, type II, and believe that I may have now arrived in Full Time without even noticing (until now).

NOTE: Although not encouraged, the above poll is set up for multiple answers if needed.
ezduzit likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-17-2015, 02:13 PM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice
Default Re: Angler Category

I put myself in the "other" category I always fly fish but since we had twins 2 yrs ago it's kinda put a damper on my stream time.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Upper Rogue River has a 'fly only' season in the Fall. You can use a spinning rod/bubble but the 'bait' can only be a single fly. Amazing to have a river all to yourself. (Well almost)
Old 08-17-2015, 03:14 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Part time, type 2 for me. More than anything, the reason for this is my geographical location making it nearly impossible to fly fish year round. I enjoy ice fishing during the winter months, and have a few times this year broke out conventional tackle in warm water situations too.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Being retired I can fly fish pretty much all year long, the winters can be tough sometimes depending on the wx, so I just pick the best days to go out. I don't own any spinning gear and haven't ever tried ice fishing despite living in Alaska for 16 years.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Full time fly fish and it's always been that way
Except for ice jigging I don't own any spinning rods and haven't fished with one since I was a child
Old 08-17-2015, 04:01 PM

scoutm has a spectacular aura aboutscoutm has a spectacular aura aboutscoutm has a spectacular aura about

"Other" - I would fly fish everyday if I could but the wife, child and business - not to mention choice of residency and crazy desire to achieve professionally just won't allow it.

Between getting my drives license and starting college I fished 220+ days a year. Pre-wife and child I would get 20-30 days on the water now I'm lucky to get 10...can't wait for retirement.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM

stenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutm View Post

"Other" - I would fly fish everyday if I could but the wife, child and business - not to mention choice of residency and crazy desire to achieve professionally just won't allow it.

Between getting my drives license and starting college I fished 220+ days a year. Pre-wife and child I would get 20-30 days on the water now I'm lucky to get 10...can't wait for retirement.
Life gets in the way for most of us at some point Scoutm, but it starts to come back to you as you get older! So hang in there.

As far as the category goes, if you fish <10 times/year, but every trip is fly fishing, then you're a 100-percenter (not tied to the amount of fishing).
smilingduck likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I went with the always fly fish, but I do have the spin gear for those times I get to take the nephews out. They are still a little too young, but can't wait to buy them a fly rod when they can use it.
stenacron likes this.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:51 PM

ezduzit has a spectacular aura aboutezduzit has a spectacular aura aboutezduzit has a spectacular aura about

Old Newbie. But have already float fished 9 lakes, resulting in releasing dozens of trout from 13"-24", dozens more blue gills and baby largemouths, plus a 13" smallmouth and 26" carp; fishing a borrowed, older, parabolic, 5wt, 2-piece Orvis (I love that rod! Thanks Wally).

Click the image to open in full size.
dean_mt and stenacron like this.