The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How often do you fish a Bamboo rod
Never fish one 16 53.33%
25% of the time 11 36.67%
50% of the time 1 3.33%
75% of the time 2 6.67%
100% of the time 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 AM

tcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant future
Default How often do you fish a Bamboo rod? and why?

Thought this was a good winter time question, and it just so happens that I am considering fishing my Bamboo rods more this year.

I am considering fishing my Bamboo rods more this year because I do enjoy fishing them but I hate to leave them in the car and they are all two piece rods so it is harder to carry a spare with me.

I think I can keep the spare out of sight in the car and then carry a Keiryu (Heavy Tenkara) rod with me for high stick nymphing as they are longer/lighter rods but they pack down small. I prefer using my Bamboo's for dry and traditional wet fly fishing due to their sensitivity and there ability to protect lighter tippets. Besides a nice Bamboo rod puts a smile on my face.

Regards,
Tim C.
cmphillips110 likes this.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts
Default Re: How often do you fish a Bamboo rod? and why?

Hi Tim,

Here where I live now only a few times each year. I have a light salmon rod that I take now and then for silvers and trout and a six weight that I try to use every fall. When I lived back east I used cane rods on all small stream fishing and the 8 foot #6 rod for streamers on medium creeks. When I fished difficult places where the one hand Spey casts were the thing I used graphite because I thought all the twisting and torqueing would damage my bamboo rods.

Every now and then I take a trip outside AK. and always take cane then.

Might as well add a picture from last October since I have one

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-19-2017, 01:31 AM

tcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant future

Hi Ard,

Very nice looking setup in that picture.

I will have to dig up some pictures but, I have several bamboo rods in 6wt, a 5wt, a 4wt and a 3wt. I love to fish them but, I usually only use them on day trips or a single overnight. For multi-day trips I will grab several graphite or glass rods. I have to get beyond the fear of having one stolen from the car while I am fishing.

Note that several years ago I had a Bamboo rod stolen from my car. Luckily the thief must of got nervous and stashed it. Then a good samaritan found it, saw my address/phone on the case and returned it to me. Ever since then I have been worried about it happening again. I don't worry about the glass or graphite rods as I can probably get a replacement. Each bamboo rod is unique in it's feel and action so it's a bigger loss or at least it seems that way to me.

Regards, Tim
Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

That was luck to get it back Tim. I would never take more than one at a time years ago. I used them so often I had no fear of breakage or need for a backup rod so I have always been a one rod guy. Here I tote extras but only because I unload straight from truck to boat and from boat to camp. If I had to leave my rods in my truck in a parking lot I wouldn't do it buddy.

I don't have a good picture of my flea rod and maybe should try to change that. I liked the Orvis flea and years ago found that I could afford to have one custom built and I did. I had 3 tips made just in case and in 1997 I actually wore one out. The splines shattered about three inches above the ferrule but left me still with 2 tips to finish the season. The same man had by then became the manager of the rod shop and he made me a replacement so I'm still at three All together I have 4 of them also and if I ever leave Alaska I hope I'm well enough to put them back I use. For now I shop big graphite rods and the cane rests easy in the rod rack.
smilingduck and cmphillips110 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-19-2017, 06:29 AM

smilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of light

Ard is spot on about leaving rods in your car. I grew up in California and when I was younger my fathers truck was broken into so many times we had to stop fishing some of our favorite Steelhead rivers. One of the first times I saw my father cry is when his truck was broken into and rods+reels stolen.

Since I have kids I can't afford to fish bamboo but as soon as I hit the Lotto I'm sure that's all I will be fishing with!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:10 AM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Interesting. I guess I thought there were more diehard (I only fish bamboo) aficionados out there. I only have one bamboo rod; my fathers old Montague from the late 30s. I used to fish it occasionally, but retired it when he died.

steve
Old 01-19-2017, 09:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My fishing partner only fishes cane (in fresh water)
He owns some classics, but for the most part he just fishes with the rods that he built himself.
A new one every year from scratch.

I on the other hand rarely fish mine (I have 3).
And no offence to anyone, but to me they're a little pretentious and I don't need that rolling around in the back of my head while I'm out on the water.

Wicked fun to cast though
Old 01-19-2017, 09:31 AM

jeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud of

You get addicted fishing split cane. For about ten recent years I fished bamboo 100% of the time with bamboo rod maker friends. That's why I have four bamboo fly rods. But some of them have moved far away now. My rods are getting older and I'm only fishing them in easy fishing scenarios so they last as long as I do.

So I voted fish bamboo 75% of the time. These days that's my 6'8" 3wt f. e. thomas on small streams.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:27 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I've passed on all my Boo's.

Scribbled note: HUGE box of cookies delivered; "Thank YOU uncle Fred. Brother and I made you cookies."

I mean like HUGE BOX! Table, sort out, zip lock bags, chest freezer. My old dog looking at me ... NO!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Hoping to embark on this adventure when I finish assembling my first boo blank before spring. I suspect there will be a few more if they are as fun to fish as I read.

Fun poll but I suspect it won't represent the "100% bamboo" crowd" so well. I am going to speculate they allocate much of their internet time to other forums that exclusively target vintage gear. NAFFF probably does represent bamboo dabblers very well. I expect I will be included in that crowd.