The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Have you stuck a fly in you or others on the cast?
Never, I've gotten lucky or haven't fly fished in wind very much 8 30.77%
Yes, no big deal, I fish tiny midges and the like 5 19.23%
Yes, it was pretty bad and I avoid it at all costs 4 15.38%
Yes, it was my cast and I stuck someone else and we laughed about it 1 3.85%
Yes, I stuck someone else and it was basically fisticuffs 0 0%
Yes, I'd do it again and again for the right fish 3 11.54%
No, I'm have such control over casting dynamics I consider it impossible 3 11.54%
Yes, it was a life altering experience and here's my story 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 04:52 AM

karstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to behold
Default Have You Stuck a Fly in You or Others?

Maybe you've been there like me when some good fish is showing and it's make the shot now or never, but the particulars of the shot will almost certainly send the fly, maybe it's a kinda big saltwater pattern or articulated streamer, whizzing dangerously close to some portion of your body or a boat mate. Do you make the shot? Have you stuck a fly in you or others? How bad was it?

I've stuck a big treble hook in my thumb past the barb and that was pretty bad mostly because a thrashing 4# fish was still attached to the plug. But fly hooks don't seem as menacing as all that. I've pounded a few flies into my shirt or jacket and maybe pricked myself with a couple. What's your experience? How bad can it get?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have You Stuck a Fly in You or Others?

On one very windy day, I "hooked" myself right in the corner of my mouth with a 2/0 Clouser
Just the spot where you'd want to hook a fish.

Fortunately, the 2/0 hook gape fit perfectly over my lip and it never broke the skin

Not exactly life altering but memorable none the less
Bigfly and karstopo like this.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:11 AM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future

I said it was no big deal in the poll, but it kind of was, though it did not rise to the category of "life altering experience." It was a midge, and here's the story:

I was changing my rigging while standing in the water at the San Juan. I decided to change both flies. I had cut off both, and tied the first one one, and added tippet to that fly. I was holding the fly gently between my lips on the left side of my mouth, with the rod grip trapped between the upper right arm and the chest, as I rummaged through my fly box, looking for the next fly. As I looked through my fly box, I apparently quit paying attention to my rod, which slipped from my arm. As it did so and I went to try to clamp down with my arm again, it pulled that fly out of my lips, and right into the tip of my tongue, which was right by my lips. The hook point buried in my tongue, and I had not yet crimped down the barb. I yanked that thing out as quick as it went in, knowing that it was my best chance to minimize the pain and shorten the embarrassment, like ripping off a band-aid. There was a piece of skin on the hook, and I was spitting blood for a bit. Couldn't eat green chile for a week!!
Rip Tide, mka, ejsell and 1 others like this.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 AM

yellowbird2 is a jewel in the roughyellowbird2 is a jewel in the roughyellowbird2 is a jewel in the rough

getting hooked in the mouth that has to give you some empathy
karstopo likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:41 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

First few days with a spey rod were pretty exciting. No serious damage done but I've hit myself several times.
karstopo likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:15 AM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I have no idea how many times I've been impaled....but many....
Casting big streamers in the wind....thwack!
A #2 streamer will turn your ear numb guaranteed.

Had a dog run through a dangling leader......that will set the hook....

A piggy deciding to leave at warp speed and leaving a dropper embedded is a treat....

But I think I've been hooked more by clients though......
Always be careful what you ask for.......and crimp that barb!

Jim
karstopo likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 AM

smcnearn is just really nicesmcnearn is just really nicesmcnearn is just really nicesmcnearn is just really nicesmcnearn is just really nice

So.... a lady angler friend of mine was fairly new to fishing from a drift boat, and also fairly new to streamers.... that up river wind hit while she was fishing from the front of the boat and blew a size 1/0 b10s with an xl cone head right into her arm. She was drunk by the time the hook came out 20 minutes later. She's unphased and still jumps on the boat to huck meat with us, and it's a story none of us will forget.

Personal, I have thumped myself 2-3 times with a streamer on windy days. Thankfully Iv not been poked though... mostly the product of trying to make too long of a cast in windy conditions, I'm stubborn but I'm starting to learn my limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ejsell and karstopo like this.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:55 AM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken a few hooks in the fingers... luckily they've all been small or debarded. Now taking a giant clouser to the back a few times surely sucks and will leave welts
ejsell likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:18 PM

don_p is a splendid one to beholddon_p is a splendid one to beholddon_p is a splendid one to beholddon_p is a splendid one to beholddon_p is a splendid one to beholddon_p is a splendid one to beholddon_p is a splendid one to beholddon_p is a splendid one to behold

Been pricked in the hands / fingers releasing fish or tying on a new fly but thankfully never sunk a hook in my flesh while casting ....or anyone elses. But, I've been hooked plenty in the vest, hat, rain jacket, waders, shirt, rod tip, net, tree branches, weeds, brush. ....and all are my secondary reasons for using barbless hooks.
ejsell and el jefe like this.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:00 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I've taken a few hooks in the fingers... luckily they've all been small or debarded. Now taking a giant clouser to the back a few times surely sucks and will leave welts
While we're swapping war stories. I have about a one inch tear in the back of my waders. Probably caused by one of Ard's defective salmon flies. I don't want to even think about a musky fly in my ear. I'm pretty careful with the big stuff.