The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Looking for a good general reference book on fly fishing. which one would you recomme
The Complete Book of Fly Fishing by Tom McNally 7 15.91%
The Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide by Tom Rosenbauer 17 38.64%
The L.L. Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing by Macauley Lord, Dick Talleur, and Dave Whitlock 8 18.18%
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fly Fishing by Michael D. Shook 0 0%
Fly Fishing for Dummies by Peter Kaminsky 0 0%
Other, please indicate the title and author 12 27.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 10:49 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: Fly Fishing reference book

Trout Rigs and Methods and also Handbook of Hatches. Both by Dave Hughes. I find his books extremely readable and the first is a great technical book about how to fly fish. The second is the best bug book I have ever seen for a new fly fisher.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:15 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I really learned a lot from Gary Borger's book Presentations. It's been out of print for some time, but the library had a copy I was able to borrow. I say had because I recently wanted to take it out again and found out it had been stolen.
Book searches online have found the book for sale but the prices are in the $300 range. Now I know why it was stolen,.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Dear friends,my reference book has got a funny moustache two legs,two arms,two great eyes to locate fish,and a lifetime experience...but if I had to recommend a book it would be this one:Mouche pour la PÍche by R Del Pozo a spanish flyfisherman and entomologist:more than 400 pages about flies classified by species with amazing photos of each,there's a little chapter about tying and one about roosters and feathers.You may not know this book I think it's not a reference one about tying it's THE one about flies.
Here are some pages of the book(if you'd like to see a prticular one just ask me)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c r o 2 119.jpg (98.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg c r o 2 120.jpg (48.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg c r o 2 121.jpg (73.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg c r o 2 122.jpg (63.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg c r o 2 123.jpg (68.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my reference book for flytying
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c r o 2 126.jpg (95.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Though I really like the Orvis book, The Curtis Creek Manifesto is also a very good start-up book.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:58 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

The LL. Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing and this site have taught me everything I know about fly fishing. The book is very good and gives a good range of information.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I always recommend "The Orvis Streamside Guide to Trout Foods and Their Imitations" to folks who tell me they want to learn to flyfish. I can teach most people the basics of casting in less than an hour, but learning which fly to use where is more difficult for most.
BTW, I teach casting the way Lefty Kreh ('s books) taught me. His instruction from Lefty's Little Library added 20' to my casts. I always recommend these books to newbies.
If you see Kreh's "Fly Fishing in Salt Water" on the shelf, pick it up and read the Introduction by Frank Woolner and prepare to be amazed!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:06 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly Fishing reference book/s

Hi all.
I have a multitude of books written by Australian,New Zealand British and American Authors which I have acquired over many many years, at present ones mostly used are :
World Fly Finder by Peter Cockwill,a brilliant little book.
Tying and Fishing Outstanding Flies by Doug Stewart,an excellent book.
Flytying Bible by Peter Gathercole,also a brilliant book.
Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughes,also an excellant book.
Fur & Feather by Peter Leuver,a classic book.
Even though from time to time I might use one of my other 100 + books & growing for reference,I still seem to be buying them all the time.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Aquatic Entomology by W. Patrick McCafferty ISBN 0-86720-017-0
Think of the this as the Tao of bugs. Just about anywhere you open it, is probably something you need to know. A decent bathroom book, but mine stays in the truck. Not a book to read cover to cover, but has sections written for ecologists and Fly fishers, (human speak). Best fifty bucks I've spent on fishing.

Bigfly
Old 01-16-2010, 09:47 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Get them all.