The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How often do you eat/release what you catch?
Always release 119 36.84%
Mostly release, sometimes keep 186 57.59%
Depends on the location, but prefer to keep 14 4.33%
Always catch fish to keep 4 1.24%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 01:37 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

I release the trout and smallmouth bass but the crappie, bluegill and walleye that's a different they go home to the frying pan.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

No crappie, no bluegills and no bass in my region. Only brook trout, landlocked salmon, walleye, pike etc.

Here, it's another story. Most of the lakes in my region have too many brook trout. Catching and keeping the smaller brook trout actually helps the brook trout population in these lakes and that is what I do most of the time. The limit for brook trout is 20 of any size. I release any brook trout over 15 inches long except in lakes that are becoming less accessible to fishermen who do not own a cottage on these lakes. There is no pollution in my region either so eating fish is healthy. One place I fish is called Lac St-Jean. In this body of water, the biologists have decided to increase the walleye limit to 10 fish with no size limit. This is being done in order to increase the landlocked salmon population. In the rest of the region, walleye limit is 6 fish between 27 and 42 cm long. A stupid slot limit when I know that people just love to catch and keep large walleye for the bragging rights. Would you release a record size walleye?

The limit for pike in my region is 10 pike of any size.

So....sure....I eat lots of fish. I go fishing often but I don't hoard fish. I like to eat my fish as fresh as possible. What does go into the freezer does not stay there very long.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

In response to Dabluz's post, I would definitely release a record walleye.

Largemouth & smallmouth bass - always release
Walleye and sauger - eat
Northern pike - release
Perch - eat
Crappie, sunfish & bluegill - eat, but release any monsters

Saltwater fish (sea trout, mackerel, etc.) - eat
Freshwater trout: eat only if camping or fishing in area where trout are stocked daily, otherwise release
Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM

highjumper is on a distinguished road

I keep and eat one fish a year, to remind myself why I don't keep and eat more fish!
smoothie likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM

smoothie will become famous soon enough

I always release fish. I like salmon and sushi, but if I tried to take a trout home to prepare and eat myself...I'm sure it would end up tasting nasty and fishy.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Trout done right is amazing. I put some butter n a lite onion in, brush on some lemon juice maybe, wrap in foil n toss on the grill. Delicious.
But I don't keep many either, I feel around here it helps the trout population remain stable following C & R.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Once or twice a year when camping I'll keep one for cooking on the fire. Other than that I put em back.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I usually keep some fish in June. I would keep some earlier in the year if I ever got a chance to go Crappie fishing. I hate cleaning fish so I don't keep as many as I would like to.

In June I begin catching some catfish from the neighbor's lakes and also some bass about a foot long. My neighbor wants me to keep all bass in the 12-14" range. Some Department of Conservation guy says they need to be thinned out some but I only keep them at that time of year to prepare for the big 4th of July BBQ, Fish Fry and Redneck Fireworks Show.

Careful and controlled harvest is good for most of the lakes and ponds around where I live. Problem is that I fish till I am too tired to fish anymore and that means I am too tired to clean fish...lol!
jgentile and buddhist_palm like this.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I hate cleaning fish so I don't keep as many as I would like to.
thats my thought process as well

after an early morning and long drives there is nothing worse then the obligation of having to clean fish while experiencing the dreaded coffee crash
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

C&R.... It's not black and white. "Most" of the responders on this thread who are adamant about c&r are referring to trout. I applaud this. I'm 100% c&r on trout. Here in MO our "blue ribbon" waters limit anglers to the harvesting of 1 trout that is greater than 18" per day. This... I don't get. I try to tell people if you want to catch a 20" trout you have to let that 18" fish go.

I think that we are rather fortunate here in MO. We have four trout parks (three State run) that cater to those who want to harvest fish on a regular basis. They grow them, they release them, u can catch them then eat them. Me? I avoid fishing in the parks. There is too much better water to fish.

I would have to say that if I lived near an ocean I would harvest fish on a regular basis within regulations. Fried Speckled Trout = yum. Sierra Mackeral ceviche = really yum! grilled Mutton Snapper? oh hell yeah.

Fishing reg's need to be fluid, changed yearly if needed based on State run survey's and above all else communicated and enforced. All anglers have an inherent responsibility to manage our resources, whether they are bait chuckers or fly fishers.
mridenour likes this.