The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How often do you eat/release what you catch?
Always release 139 35.92%
Mostly release, sometimes keep 225 58.14%
Depends on the location, but prefer to keep 19 4.91%
Always catch fish to keep 4 1.03%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 AM
mridenour

Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentile View Post
C&R.... It's not black and white. "Most" of the responders on this thread who are adamant about c&r are referring to trout. I applaud this. I'm 100% c&r on trout. Here in MO our "blue ribbon" waters limit anglers to the harvesting of 1 trout that is greater than 18" per day. This... I don't get. I try to tell people if you want to catch a 20" trout you have to let that 18" fish go.

I think that we are rather fortunate here in MO. We have four trout parks (three State run) that cater to those who want to harvest fish on a regular basis. They grow them, they release them, u can catch them then eat them. Me? I avoid fishing in the parks. There is too much better water to fish.
I agree that we should make the Blue Ribbon areas C&R and the areas below could be Trophy areas. Sadly, I think a lot of the big browns run up into the park and get caught by someone fishing with minnows and then they are gone.

I also don't understand why treble hooks are allowed on the Blue Ribbon water.

Once in a while I go into the park to catch a few stockers when I get a hankering for some trout but that isn't very often.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:56 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

They're all wild fish here

Some rivers will have targeted fish they'd like the anglers to keep

It could be to suggest you keep rainbows between 12" and 14", if the studies show there are too many of those... and they adjust during the season

Works out well for everyone

Never keep the big ones.. let the next person catch it too
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:38 PM

05harleyrider is on a distinguished road

Release it and allow somone else the enjoyment of the catch.

Only thing that ticks me off is seeing people harvesting fish during what is known to be delayed harvest season, or on catch and release streams. Report it to a passing game warden and they act as if it is nothing to be concerned with.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:57 AM

wolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the rough

I hardly ever kill a fish, other than in my own ponds where they breed like welfare families.

Well, I shouldn't say that, in places where there are way too many rough fish like gar, hard head catfish, I bring them home to feed to my chickens.

Jack
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:41 AM

glenn_herwig is on a distinguished road

Depends on species. Large mouth bass always throw back. Crappie depends if I'm feeling a fish fry. Bluegill always throw back. Unless I'm ice fishing then I keep everything except pike and bass. But when it comes to trout fishing where I live there are no wild trout streams in NJ. So it is solely stocking. So I keep them. But if I catch a breeder I'm throwing it back. The reason I keep every trout is because you have idiots that keep them and use them for catfish. I feel I rather limit out and catch 6 trout then let some one use it for bait. I admire the trout species and by any means I'm not one of those guys that does not care about conservation.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:56 AM

wolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the roughwolfglen is a jewel in the rough

Isn't that something like well, everyone is looting, so I might as well do it?
Releasing a trout is an unselfish thing to do.

A released fish is going to be harder to catch the second time and the third and on.

Just because the state says fish don't reproduce there doesn't mean it's so.
There are many streams which hold over fish and while they don't reproduce in that stream it'self, they do go up the little tributaries and spawn.

Remember, often the states want a reason to continue put and take stocking and if they say there is no reproduction, it must be true, right? Lenin about 1905 "Tell a lie long enough and people will believe it". The politicians want the votes of the hatchery crowd. Hatcheries have their place, I am in full agreement with that, but not as a political boondoggle.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:04 PM

wee hooker is on a distinguished road

Interesting topic!
First, it should be noted that fishing, any fishing is a blood sport. It's origins come from people fishing to eat. Catch and release as a relatively new concept in the timeline of it all.
I myself have eaten hundreds of self caught fish since I was a kid. Back then it was a badge of honor to come home and feed my family with what I caught. Fast forward 40+ years and I have lost my interest in this aspect of the sport. I just have no great love for eating what I've caught and even less for cleaning fish. Couple that with a ever growing sense of conservation and I can count the fish I've killed on one hand in the last 10 years.

That said, I don't begrudge anyone who fish's of keeping any fish within the limit of applicable game laws. I believe it's part of how we grow with the sport.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

When we talk Pan fish there is nothing wrong with keeping all that you want to eat. In some lakes it is a mistake to release the pan fish if there are a lot of them and they are all small.

Frank
This is incorrect.
You have no idea why they are small, is it because of lack of food or is it because of high fishing pressure and fish never get a chance to reach potential.
WI is currently looking at reducing the bag limits on 100 lakes because of this exact problem. Different lakes, different amounts of feed, different growth rates. You should hear the squawks from the "meat" hunters (panfisherman), all they care about are themselves, not a concern for the resource.

Frankly anybody that keeps everything they catch are not "sportsmen" they are selfish meat hunters. Be honest and admit it if this sounds like you.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 PM

left field is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfglen View Post

Just because the state says fish don't reproduce there doesn't mean it's so.
There are many streams which hold over fish and while they don't reproduce in that stream it'self, they do go up the little tributaries and spawn.

Remember, often the states want a reason to continue put and take stocking and if they say there is no reproduction, it must be true, right? Lenin about 1905 "Tell a lie long enough and people will believe it". The politicians want the votes of the hatchery crowd. Hatcheries have their place, I am in full agreement with that, but not as a political boondoggle.
wolfglen, call this a hunch, but I'm beginning to think you have issues with the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee hooker View Post
First, it should be noted that fishing, any fishing is a blood sport. It's origins come from people fishing to eat. Catch and release as a relatively new concept in the timeline of it all.

That said, I don't begrudge anyone who fish's of keeping any fish within the limit of applicable game laws. I believe it's part of how we grow with the sport.
Just to clarify, as this was a recently discussed topic, a "blood sport" more properly refers to a sport where the infliction of pain or death to an animal is done for the enjoyment or excitement of the participants or viewers. Which is why - if you believe that being hooked creates pain - C&R could be considered a blood sport whereas C&K is better defined as dinner.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 PM

scotty macfly is a jewel in the roughscotty macfly is a jewel in the roughscotty macfly is a jewel in the rough

I don't always keep fish, but when I do, it's maybe 2 or 3 fish. Just enough for supper. Not only that, but the only fish I keep are walleye, cause I like walleye. The only trout I keep are brookies. They are like rabbits and they will over populate a lake and actually hurt it if not taken out from time to time.