The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How often do you eat/release what you catch?
Always release 119 36.96%
Mostly release, sometimes keep 185 57.45%
Depends on the location, but prefer to keep 14 4.35%
Always catch fish to keep 4 1.24%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 05:44 AM

cmdrstp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

One man's sin as another's salvation.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:48 AM

cmdrstp is on a distinguished road

There is nothing wrong with keeping a catch. Sometimes we get caught up in the elitism that only a true sportman releases. If a certain fishery is so fragile than maybe no fishing should be allowed there at all. Everytime a fish is hooked and fought, is not it's life at risk regardless of how careful we are? I am all for responsible conservation which means I'm guilty of no sin by ethically using a natural resource. I truly wish people would be more concerned with pollution than what's in another man's creel. Do what is right in the regs book and in your heart. Bon appetite.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:03 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

If its a walleye its going to be grilled---yellow perch is deep fried

everything else goes back
Old 06-04-2008, 12:49 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

Cmdrstp, I couldn't agree more, even though it doesn't seem to be the "politically correct" answer these days. At the end of the day, the original purpose of fishing - of whatever kind - was to put food on the table, same as hunting. We're fortunate because, unlike hunting, we have the alternative option of catch & release.

Having said all that, I usually release, either because I'm not in a position to eat the trout or because I'm fishing in a catch & release zone. I think the authorities are in the best position to determine when and under what circumstances caught fish may be retained, and I don't think it's my business to second-guess another flyfisher's decision to keep his/her catch if it's legal to do so.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:36 AM

scottisko0L is on a distinguished road

i release all the fish i catch unless im on a camping trip and im fishing a lake that gets stocked alot. but all wild fish, you gotta release.

Catch-N-Release Wild Trout ZEROlimit
Old 07-18-2008, 06:16 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Back in the early 70's, when I first moved to Colorado I was dirt poor and lived in a VW van in the National Forest. Temporary labor jobs and playing guitar in bars was my only income. There were plenty of fish in the creeks near my campsite and I ate a lot of trout. I mean a lot of trout.
Since then the thought of eating them doesn't appeal to me much. But I love to fish. At the time I mostly spin fished, till I got a little South Bend backpack flyrod kit for about $20. I still have the Martin tin reel that came with that kit.
Now it's stricktly catch and release. Take the picture, leave the fish.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 PM

WANTONJ is on a distinguished road
Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

We were coming home from Trout fishing a few years back,my friend wanted to stop and visit some people he knew,we were in their backyard and they were putting Golf Balls,we had told them we had caught and released about 50 Rainbows between us in this creek,they just could not understand why we would do that,no matter what I would tell them it did no good,finally I told them I can see both of you play Golf,I told them you hit the ball and try and get as many as you can in the hole correct,then I said when your done DO YOU EAT THE GOLF BALLS.

have a good and safe day.

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service, Valley Springs Calif.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 PM

WANTONJ is on a distinguished road
Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

We were coming home from Trout fishing a few years back,my friend wanted to stop and visit some people he knew,we were in their backyard and they were putting Golf Balls,we had told them we had caught and released about 50 Rainbows between us in this creek,they just could not understand why we would do that,no matter what I would tell them it did no good,finally I told them I can see both of you play Golf,I told them you hit the ball and try and get as many as you can in the hole correct,then I said when your done DO YOU EAT THE GOLF BALLS.

have a good and safe day.

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service, Valley Springs Calif.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 PM

FGFlyguy is on a distinguished road

Typically I always release when fishing rivers and streams. It's my opinion that you gotta do everything you can to help wild trout. However, lately I have kept a few rainbows from some of our local lakes. Reasons why is because recently my fishing partners have been my two young sons. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to teach them about fish biology as well as being able to show them how to sustainably harvest your own food from your environment. Nothing like fishing with the little ones and enjoying your catch with them at the dinner table.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post
My friends often question me after a fishing trip, when I show them a picture of a pretty little brookie or a big lunker brown trout: So did you eat that one? They are often amazed or confused when I say that I released it. But those trout are tasty, they'll offer. My only response is, it's more fun to catch them than to gut and cook them. There's also conservation issues in some small streams that aren't regularly stocked, but in which the trout population survives through natural reproduction. However, in other streams, the trout do no reproduce naturally and the local Game and Fish might want people to remove the non-native trout from the ecosystem. But, I'm not really sure if I'm qualified to talk about trout conservation, so I'll leave it at that.

So what do you do? Do you release most fish, but keep and eat one every once in a while? Do you pull your daily limit early in the day and then start fishing catch and release? Or do you always release? Or does it depend on where you're fishing? Please explain below...

As far as your last paragraph, about catching limit early then catch and release. Legally here, if you catch your limit and keep them, you are done for the day.
Anyway, C&R all the way with one or two a year to eat.