The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How often do you eat/release what you catch?
Always release 119 36.96%
Mostly release, sometimes keep 185 57.45%
Depends on the location, but prefer to keep 14 4.35%
Always catch fish to keep 4 1.24%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 04:59 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

Alot of the rivers here in Utah have regulations on size and such so that the big spawning stay in the water.

John
Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I dislike when people keep large trophy size fish. This is worse when it comes to Pike, Muskie, or walleye. Big fish don't taste good in my opinion, and they are not safe to eat too much of if they are predator fish.
Absolutely, on them not tasting good. PAN SIZE that is the good stuff and I am talking a 12 to 14 inch skillet LOL
The same goes for the mounting to me...the fiberglass look soo much better these days.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:34 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Absolutely, on them not tasting good. PAN SIZE that is the good stuff and I am talking a 12 to 14 inch skillet LOL
The same goes for the mounting to me...the fiberglass look soo much better these days.
I agree that I don't keep anything I can't fit in a pan.

John
Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWCC View Post
Thank you.

I believe it was Lefty Kreh who commented that state fish & game departments should "stop managing rivers & streams like they are grocery shelves". My apologies to Lefty if the quote isn't exactly correct, but you understand the point.

Every time someone takes a game fish (trout or other) out of a river, whether it be a stocked fish or a wild fish, there is one less opportunity for everyone to catch a fish. Game fish are too precious to waste in this manner--they should be left behind for the next fisherman, fisherwoman, etc.
In some streams that may be true, and some species, but stocked streams are stocked are stocked for that reason, thats why they are called put and take streams. And if they didnt allow some fish to be kept (maybe not so mnay flyfishers) but others would actually stop fishing, wich means less money for the conservation departments to use to make fishing better. Last these guys know what they are doing, I worked for a state conservation dept for a few years. Eating fish has been something folks have done for years and will and SHOULD keep doing, as long as its done responsably. Also some fisheries would suffer if follks didnt keep a few here and there.
Bear
Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Last year there was a river here in Utah that was over run with white fish and the fish and game didn't want any put back in the river.

John
Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I had forgoten untill just now, ( I know this isnt trout but I heard bass and such talk about) as a kid growing up my father and I gained permision to fish a pond or rather a small lake, every year the guy had the MDC shock this and told him what to let people keep or not keep.
Only ONE year out of many did they say keep no bass, and a couple years they said keep ALL bass caught up to like 7 or 8. Yes in heavly fished lakes C&R should be the rule and trophy fish should always be relesed, like I belive Joni said a reproduction mount is better looker and in mnay casses cheaper i have found. And if you personlay dont wnat to keep any thats great, but for people to say folks shouldnt keep any at any time, or the game and fish should stop regualting streams like a grocery store is a bit much.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You are right...it should be up to the individual. But putting out some stats and whys is also good.
The thrashing I took for letting the fish of a life time go I took was incredible.
We were on a week long CAMPING trip. We had one ice chest full of drinks and one full of food with the trailer fridge being a bit small.
On the second day out, I hook what is turning out to be one of the BIGGEST fish taken from this lake. So big, that from my boat, I was unable to get length and width, let alone weight.
Realizing I had no where to store this fish for 5 more days not to mention what it might look like after that long, I let it go. I also realized this was probably it's last year.
All I could do id make assumptions as to its size and then chart it's weight.....would have made a great coffee table base LOL
Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 AM

Very true about the stats and whys. I know I have heard the " what the F*^% was you thinking?" for turning back a couple fish that many would have put on the wall, I just tell them that I can get a reproduction made and a pic last much longer lol. I have had three mounts in my life for fish, two gills and one crappie and they all have broken fins, gills and dusty with a dust that awfal to try and clean. Ducks are even worse. The rainbow that I caught a couple months back was 15.8 lbs, state record is jusr over 19, I fought with keeping him for about 2 seconds, two pics and back he went. The only thing that bugs me is no one was around to take my pic hoding it, and this is a river thats ALWAYS crowded lol, oh well. One other thing is I have seen MANY times people that are C&Rers, drag fish across rocks when landing it(big rocks) grab it the gills wrong and make them bleed, handle the fish way to much, just beat the fish up in general then throw(not slip) the fish back in the river, now we all know that fish is probaly not gonna live the rest of the day. Anyway I'll stop rambling on now, yes I'm getting bored LOL cant wait to get my knees dealt with and back to fishing more then once a week or eevry other week
Bear
Old 12-30-2008, 10:14 AM

But those same people will say.."OH, it swam off, it was okay". ):-(
Old 12-30-2008, 01:41 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

I release all my fish, except ones that I know will not survive (gill hooked, etc.) Something else I do is try to educate people around me about limiting their catch and try to keep mostly smaller fish as the larger ones are usually the best reproducers.

My .02 cents.