The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How often do you eat/release what you catch?
Always release 119 36.96%
Mostly release, sometimes keep 185 57.45%
Depends on the location, but prefer to keep 14 4.35%
Always catch fish to keep 4 1.24%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

Glassroddr, I like your name....start a post introducing yourself, assuming you fish GLASS.
I know a few on here would be interested.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
But those same people will say.."OH, it swam off, it was okay". ):-(
yeah I know , damn nimrods. makes me wonder about people sometimes lol
Old 12-30-2008, 09:35 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
In some streams that may be true, and some species, but stocked streams are stocked are stocked for that reason, thats why they are called put and take streams. And if they didnt allow some fish to be kept (maybe not so mnay flyfishers) but others would actually stop fishing, wich means less money for the conservation departments to use to make fishing better. Last these guys know what they are doing, I worked for a state conservation dept for a few years. Eating fish has been something folks have done for years and will and SHOULD keep doing, as long as its done responsably. Also some fisheries would suffer if follks didnt keep a few here and there.
Bear
Bear, I couldn't agree with you more. In these "effete" days, it's easily forgotten that the whole sport of fishing came about because PEOPLE WANTED TO EAT FISH!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 AM

Hakai is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Hakai

I'm with Doubletap on this one.I used to guide at a lodge up north for salmon and halibut. I have killed a lot of fish over the years. Now I get a little fuzzy feeling when I release them ! I only keep bleeders that I know wont survive !!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

This largely depends on the species of fish. I have never killed a smallmouth, I almost never keep a trout of any kind. I let 99% of Northern Pike go. Walleye if they are 16 or 17 inches may be doomed. Crappie might be in trouble also. Overall a fish has a better than 99% chance of swimming away. I never kill big fish of any kind ever.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Right on Dan. The BIG fish taste like ****, and the Fiberglass molds look pretty darn good.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not only do they taste like ****, most species, big fish are not really safe to eat. Also big fish have the genetics for big, which we should all want passed on. As for the fiberglass mount thing, you are absolutely correct Joni. They last forever and look better. Win win win. Clobbering a big fish to show off, as many fisherman do, is a waste. A good photo works just as well. Speaking of photos, Nice albino trout there Joni! Awsome. A good candidate for a replica.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I always release...fish gives me so much pleasure I'd be mad to kill my playing mate...once I told another angler:imagine you're in a tennis club and every time you win a match...you eliminate(KILL) your opponant...you'll soon be playing alone...A week ago I was taking off my waders when a little girl and her mum arrived ...the mom asked me:excuse me sir,have you caught any fish? yes I 've caught some I answered.My daughter would be glad to see them...Sorry I never keep a fish.The little girl was disappointed and is mom amazed,so I decided to go to the little bridge nearby with them,lent her my polaroid glasses and showed her some fish ,look they're nicer here than in a fishing basket!and a great smile illuminated her face
joebloe likes this.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:37 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

I prefer to release fish I catch, not much of a fish eater. The only fish that I keep and eat are walleye and lake erie perch.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

If I go fishing (spin gear) with my Grandpa and cousin, we fish for pan fish and large mouth in lakes for dinner. When I am flying by myself I release.