The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How often do you eat/release what you catch?
Always release 120 36.92%
Mostly release, sometimes keep 187 57.54%
Depends on the location, but prefer to keep 14 4.31%
Always catch fish to keep 4 1.23%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

Fish Dominates...Good food...Good for you!!

I do not like to freeze the fish but will in the case of Halibut and a few others that freeze well and are not available all of the time where I am living and fishing.

I live in Colorado so I eat a lot of good quality fresh fish from high mountain brookies to lower elevation walleye. We have good pan fish and river catfish and plenty of bass both lmb and smb. All fish around are willing to hit a fly which of course makes them taste so much better.

Now this is hard to beat and you can bet when I get a fish like this it is going in the boat.

Click the image to open in full size.

Omega 3's!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM

driftlessman is on a distinguished road

Never really keep, unless I fish the North Bear in Iowa. I guess I would keep a fish if it was big enough here on my home stream.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I'll catch 'em and eat 'em if someone will clean 'em and cook 'em! milt.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Remember that if you eat fish but release those you catch preferring to buy yours from the store, you are being counterproductive as far as our fisheries and the environment goes. That said, release is great when needed or desired. I prefer the In Fisherman concept of Selective Release which in short means know your resource and the laws then catch and keep when it's best but release when needed or best.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

99.9999% of the time I am a "Love Em and Leave Em" as opposed to a "Hook Em and Cook Em" kinda guy. IMO...I'd rather let em go and let someone else possibly enjoy catching them too.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Most times (99.999%) they go back. I don't keep any from the river, don't keep the big ones, I'd rather take a photo home then take the fish, but I will occasionally keep and cook some 12-14s from the local lake to cook over the campfire.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM

dadharr is on a distinguished road

Once a year, when in the Allagash for a week, I will keep two small native brookies for a campfire meal that is like eating candy. Otherwise it is catch and release for me. Even on streams that warm up and put and take is encouraged, there are plenty of folks fishing these streams who do take the fish so let them have a chance at catching what I have released. Besides, once you've tasted a Northern Maine native brookie no stocked fish will ever measure up for texture and flavor.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:12 PM

canonman is on a distinguished road

A fish for the smoker once and awhile is good and some saltwater fish...yum but mostly return all fish
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM

bennypapa is on a distinguished road

Depends on the water I am fishing and the species. I usually take all the trout home but the warm water fish usually catch a break.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I keep the the occasion fish I wound and the ones I am too greedy to break off because my gear is too light. One of the small streams I fish is dam-less and a strait shot down into the CT river in MA. Terrestrial season can get interesting late summer if the water has a chance to come up.

Conversely, I have neither remorse nor misgivings about filling a limit of trout with tank wear on their fins and tails because someone asked me for them.