The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How often do you eat/release what you catch?
Always release 119 36.96%
Mostly release, sometimes keep 185 57.45%
Depends on the location, but prefer to keep 14 4.35%
Always catch fish to keep 4 1.24%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 03:28 PM

bpeterson will become famous soon enough
Default Eat that fish, or release it?

It depends on the situation.
I don't keep and most likely never will keep largemouth bass I catch. I really enjoy both the catch and release
When we go fish for reds and specks, we keep every legal fish we catch.

Ive never been fishing for brown trout, rainbow trout, or any other northern species being in southern LA, but I most likely wouldn't keep any of those fish.

Been wanting to do it for a while now but I'll prob have to wait until I graduate to make that happen. Seeing all of y'all's pictures of the beautiful fish and scenery isn't helping at all either!!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

I release 99% of the fish I catch back into the water and haven't even taken a hero picture in years. If I am camping I will keep a couple small fish, usually Brookies, for dinner. Fresh Brookies are sooooo good over a camp fire.

Thanks
Randy
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 AM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

The Connecticut Fish & Wildlife's facebook page recently posted a pic of a guy with huge pike - the pic is obviously taken in the tackle shop - the fish was obviously not released - the comments on this photo are interesting to say the
least - things like "too bad it will never spawn again" and " why would you release and not keep this or any fish that you 'tortured' to the shore with a hook in it's face" and the moderator explaining that the fish was legally caught and kept along with some background on the fisherman.

https://www.facebook.com/CTFishAndWi...ref=ts&fref=ts

I've witnessed many incidents and arguments for both sides -
- a fellow I work with is a big game/tuna fisherman and charter boat captain who stated something like: "to hell with rules and limits, I'm gonna take what I can get while I can before everyone else takes 'em all and there's nothing left" !
- another deep sea fisherman I work with who told me about all the fish he had to dump overboard because the Coast Guard were coming, apparently he's a 'back door' commercial fisherman , illegally selling his poached fish to restaurants.
- fish being kept to show 'the catch' to folks at home -but nobody wants to clean or cook them, and they go into the trash.
- People keeping fish and running to their coolers kept out of sight or in the car to avoid the law, filling up and ignoring limits -
- fish being released improperly and violently
- friends that don't understand why you would hook and catch a fish for 'sport' and not keep and eat -
- people fishing near me telling me that I should give them the fish I catch instead of releasing them because I'm throwing back a good meal - (screw you - catch your own fish!)
- this past weekend a fellow in a flyshop showed me 2 pics of a brown trout he caught and released a year apart in the same piece of secluded water, where he's only ever seen one other fisherman, a wormer - by it's markings it was obviously the same fish, a little bigger and a little more colorful - he said he was going on down to that same secluded piece of water the night before opening day to try and catch that same fish again to make him 'gun-shy' to the wormer and thereby 'save it's life' by catching and releasing it again -
- I ate my first steelhead this past weekend, a little guy that bled out and died in a 'catch and release only' section of the river after swallowing the fly into it's gills - I 'smuggled' him out in a ziploc bag I filled with snow and stuffed into my waders - My reasoning was sound but I wonder what the DEC would have done if I got caught with this fish - the fish was very tasty, I thought it was the 'respectful' thing to do.

sometimes it's hard to explain why I enjoy fishing -

Last edited by joebloe; 04-02-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post

My friends often question me after a fishing trip, when I show them a picture of a pretty little brookie or a big lunker brown trout: So did you eat that one? They are often amazed or confused when I say that I released it. But those trout are tasty, they'll offer.
I get the same responses, mostly from friends that don't fish. I'm not opposed to people taking/eating fish, personally speaking - having tried them a few times over the years - I just don't like the taste of stream trout all that much. I'm 100% C&R with respect to fly-fishing.

Ice fishing on the other hand... well, that's fish fry season in our house. I like to chase up panfish ('gills, perch, crappie, white bass) and they eventually find their way onto the fillet board.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
The Connecticut Fish & Wildlife's facebook page recently posted a pic of a guy with huge pike - the pic is obviously taken in the tackle shop - the fish was obviously not released - the comments on this photo are interesting to say the
least - things like "too bad it will never spawn again" and " why would you release and not keep this or any fish that you 'tortured' to the shore with a hook in it's face" and the moderator explaining that the fish was legally caught and kept along with some background on the fisherman.

https://www.facebook.com/CTFishAndWi...ref=ts&fref=ts
My fishing partner works in that shop (Sundays) and I can tell you that their clientele is "diverse" to say the least. You'll see cops and "gang-bangers" in there talking fishin' together like they were the best of friends.
Gary B isn't the moderator, he's the shop owner and when he says that the guy holding that pike fishes for food, believe me he knows what he's talking about. Before that shop moved to it's present location (across from Wethersfield PD) they were in the Hartford south end and many if not most of their costumers were the city's poor and all fished for food.

That's a nice pike though and right now is the time to go for them.
They're staging on shoals near their spawning areas in the river waiting for the annual spring flood that will open up the marshes where they do their thing.
joebloe likes this.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

I have some relatives who are in their '80s. They love trout. They used to fish for themselves, but no longer do.

A couple times a year, instead of releasing the stocked fish I catch, I keep them and give them to these relatives.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

I release 99% of the fish I catch. The only time I keep one is when my son and I are camping. For a child, catching a fish and cooking it over a campfire makes for some great memories.
milt spawn likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

When I fish I'm selective in my harvest... Some streams I don't have a problem taking a limit from multiple times a year... other areas I'll keep a couple fish the whole year... One thing people should realize from a conservation point is that it is rarely an angler that is lowering the population of a trout stream... more often than not it's environmental reasons that cause a decline in trout population.... Trout lay 1000s of eggs and plenty of those eggs are fertilized every spawn... A healthy trout stream can support fishing for the table with no issues... Now don't confuse this with commercial fishing... I'm talking about anglers taking their daily limit... Not a net taking 100s if not 1000s of pounds
Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 AM

bmvwj is on a distinguished road

Sometimes people think that releasing every fish they catch is a good, but selective harvesting is a method and practice and teach my children. The rewarding feeling of putting food on the table by learning a technique, putting it to real life fishing practice application and then finally putting food on the table later on is very rewarding. Teach someone selective harvesting and do research on its impact
Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

I prefer to release all my fish. I am of Asian descent but HATE eating fish.