The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 85 49.42%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 34 19.77%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 29 16.86%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 41 23.84%
Other: to be explained in a post 34 19.77%
All of the above! 8 4.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Well I finally did it. I broke a rod. In all the time I have fly fished, this is the first time I have done it. Of course, it's one of my favorite rods. My 9' 4 pc. 10 wt. R. L. Winston. I was trying to do a fly by a spot and get a few quick casts in for Walleye. I had my 15' Meiser and the Winston. I had a Clouser on the Meiser and a leech on the Winston. I should not have even had the Winston there. I started spey casting just because of hard places to cast JUST LIKE THIS SPOT! Anyway I was trying to throw a high back cast up between a tree and a giant rock hill. Actually the tree is also on it. A weird little cedar tree. My Canadian friend chopped a bunch of the dead branches off it a few years back in order to make it a little easier on the back cast. I was tryin to hit a far spot and the wind was blowing right at me so I was really putting the juice to it. I had a gust blow my back cast into the dang cedar tree and snapped about 18" off the tip section of the rod. Winston can make a new tip fo it. So the rod is not a loss, but dang, I was bummed. I hate to say it but this is how my whole Summer has been going. I half expect it to start raining frogs.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm sorry to hear that Dan, I know how much you liked that Winston. New tips are better than no tips but they just don't seem to be the same.......

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ard. I talked to them and I put the blanks serial number on it when I built it. They can go back and use the same mandrel they rolled the first tip on. I'm hoping it comes out the same, but you are not the first person I have heard say they just aren't the same. I'll be happy with close.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I am bumping this onto the current post board to see if we can pick up some more data.

The idea was to help persons new to fly fishing identify the most prevalent causes of broken fly rods. A quick glance at the results will give you a hint.

If you have broken a rod this season and have not entered it on the polling please do.

Ard

Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

My Sage One front section was broken by a vacuum cleaner. Yes, a vacuum cleaner. I had it set up in the bedroom in 2 sections with the reel on it as I occasionally like to walk outside into the yard and just cast a bit. Wife moved a floor lamp while vacuuming which knocked over the rod and snap-ola, broke the tip section about 3 inches down when it got scucked in. From now on I will be keeping my rods dissambled in their hard case and locked in a gun safe.

Sage has had the rod since August 16th and have not touched it. "Backlog" they claim. I told them I had a trip planed for the week of the Sep 17th and they said it will not be back by then and to expect sometime in mid-October, 6-8 weeks I believe. Warranties are one of things you don't often think about when buying a high end product so I learned a couple lessons: don't leave your rod laying around the house and do homework on warranties. G. Loomis charges $100 as opposed to $50 but you get your new rod on 5 days, one time Expeditor service. Worth it in my opinion. A friend broke his Sage Flight a couple years ago and waited 3 months. Unacceptable. When you shell out $700 bucks for latest and greatest, they should move quickly or offer some sort of upgraded service for a fee. Sage Ones are new and parts are on the shelf. Swap out the front section and just mail it back for crying out loud. Geez.

I'll just have to use my ZXL for the trip. Hurt me No problem except that it is going to be on the Arkansas which is better suited to the One.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by mike63; 09-02-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'm sorry to hear that Dan, I know how much you liked that Winston. New tips are better than no tips but they just don't seem to be the same.......
Tomorrow afternoon I'll be able to see if it is the same or not. I have the second and final coat of finish on it going in the turner right now. It will at least look the same.

Quote:
The idea was to help persons new to fly fishing identify the most prevalent causes of broken fly rods.
Ard
A tree jumped in front of my backcast while I was trying to put a clouser into the next county. I hate when that happens.

Last edited by Guest1; 09-23-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Broke a tip after a long walk to my favorite spot. Put the rod down behind me on the ground and began pulling out my fly and leader, gingerly by hand. Pulled a little too hard I guess and snap. Never thought this would be how I would break it. I thought I was following the protocol. Guess I was in too big a rush to get the fly on the water. A long walk of shame then followed.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Noreaster,

Your story is the first (I think) of this nature. I'm curious how this happened but know it would be difficult to describe in detail. I always string rods by taking about 6" of the fly lines tip - doubling it over unto itself making a loop in the front of the bend, and then thread this through each guide. Even if the line escapes your grip while stringing up, the loop formed gets caught in the guides and stops the line from falling back to the reel. Once the looped line with leader attached is clear of the guides I'm ready to tie on the fly.

I'm not quite sure how you ended up with a broken tip but the part where the fly rod was "down behind me" could well be the culprit here. It is very seldom that I lay a rod on the ground, it happens sometimes when trying to get the hook from a fish especially if the rod is 13 - 15' long. The long rods are a bit cumbersome when you land fish and if there is no handy bush or tree to lean the rod against I lay them down. When this happens I am like a guy walking on egg shells until I have it back safely in my hands.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened, what rod, and are you fixing it? (sending it in)

Ard

Old 09-23-2012, 02:22 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Noreaster,

Your story is the first (I think) of this nature. I'm curious how this happened but know it would be difficult to describe in detail. I always string rods by taking about 6" of the fly lines tip - doubling it over unto itself making a loop in the front of the bend, and then thread this through each guide. Even if the line escapes your grip while stringing up, the loop formed gets caught in the guides and stops the line from falling back to the reel. Once the looped line with leader attached is clear of the guides I'm ready to tie on the fly.

I'm not quite sure how you ended up with a broken tip but the part where the fly rod was "down behind me" could well be the culprit here. It is very seldom that I lay a rod on the ground, it happens sometimes when trying to get the hook from a fish especially if the rod is 13 - 15' long. The long rods are a bit cumbersome when you land fish and if there is no handy bush or tree to lean the rod against I lay them down. When this happens I am like a guy walking on egg shells until I have it back safely in my hands.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened, what rod, and are you fixing it? (sending it in)

Ard
I can try to explain it better.
I walked out of the bush through really high cat tails and muddy water. It got a little more solid under feet as approached the bank, cat tails still really thick.

When I reached the bank I put the rod together. The leader and fly was reeled into the tip end guide of the rod. I placed the rod down on the ground behind me with the reel handle facing up or out not face down , picked it up in by the middle began pulling out the fly. It happened so fast.

I think some how my hand holding the rod perhaps made an unnatural fulcrum point that put undo pressure on the last 4 or 5 inches of the tip.

I hate admitting it was my Sage RPL GFL 7'6" 5 wt. Sage informed me, "Pretty sure they still work with that model out in the shop from time to time" So chopped it up and sent it to them.
$50 bucks and no questions asked: new tip coming. Just got the email from them saying they received my rod tip and multiple additional weeks to wait.

Happy Camper though. I love that rod

In hindsight I may have had inflated expectations with the thresh hold of these precision, delicate instruments.
I couldn't go without fishing the last few wekks of the season so promptly went out and bought the 4 wt. st. croix imperial in a 7'6". Very nice rod for the dough. Am much more careful now with it.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Default What's Wrong With This Picture?

Click the image to open in full size.

While fishing late Friday afternoon / early evening this rod snapped when the fly struck a submerged boulder while I was sweeping the line up to set up another cast.

I continued fishing using the 9.5 foot tip section as a single hand rod casting over head with my right while holding the butt and reel in my left. When a fish would grab the fly I doubled the tip against the cork and was able to work the reel to land some nice fish despite the broken rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

The rod was an LL Bean 13' 8 weight and it is already in the mail back to Freeport Maine. They told me that they would send me a new one That's good news because it's my medium water rod. I was very happy that this didn't happen to one of those Winstons or my old Hardy Spey.