The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How did you break your rod? Multipal Choice Poll;
Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc 85 49.42%
Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc 34 19.77%
Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting. 29 16.86%
I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting 41 23.84%
Other: to be explained in a post 34 19.77%
All of the above! 8 4.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Bumped just for you fishalong, sorry to hear about that........................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Last year I got my first nice fly rod for Xmas and a week before a big fishing trip to NH I stepped on my rod when it fell out of it's case, they was a tiny mark on it at a ferrule, I didn't think much of it, so I go to the first pool, see a nice brookie about 15" feeding on nymphs or that, so i cast, he takes, i set the hook and snap. The rod breaks.
So I send it back to orvis, get it back after my trip and go out fishing, on my first cast it breaks again at the top ferrule

I was livid, but it all worked out great and instead of a 7' 4 piece I got it replaced by a 8.5' 2 piece which I like a lot more.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Never noticed this poll. I had my TFO 9wt TiCrX in the tube in the backseat of my car. During some aggressive cornering it ended up lodged between the right rear door and the rear seat, no big deal right? Well some moron blows a red light and T-bones my car on you guessed it, the right rear door... Snaps the tube and all 4 sections in half! On a good note, once the bodyshop recoverd most of the pieces TFO replaced the rod!

Last edited by swirlchaser; 01-17-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll;

I broke my in a car door setting up for a days fishing

Oops.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

I was tossing a big bug for smallies early this spring. I snagged a limb on my back cast and my winston vapor....vaporized about 4 inches above the grip. Bummer of it was I had bought it second hand, and Winston wouldn't even talk to me about it. I called and emailed them trying to find out how much for a new butt section, but never got a reply. Oh well, now I'm an Allen Fan!
Stan
Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Swirlchaser has the record so far with the T boned at a red light story! Wow, and TFO is to be congratulated on that service. Are you guys filling in the data columns in the poll? I haven't counted post vs. entries but I should. I thought after we get feedback for about a year the results would be good to know.

Ard

Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Swirlchaser has the record so far with the T boned at a red light story! Wow, and TFO is to be congratulated on that service. Are you guys filling in the data columns in the poll? I haven't counted post vs. entries but I should. I thought after we get feedback for about a year the results would be good to know.

Ard
I explained what happened to the woman at TFO and she said it didn't matter, no fault warranty means no fault warranty. I shipped back all the pieces and waited. A few days later I get a call from TFO, it was the guy who opened my package. I figured he was going to say no way, I started to explain that I wouldn't have sent it back but the woman on the phone said no problem. He cut me off and said it was ok, he and the other guys had a bet that my wife or girlfriend got angry and destroyed the rod. After laughing for a few minutes I told them the story and they shipped me a new rod that day.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Administrator

I know you guys are out there snapping a few sections even now, if so please enter your data on the poll.

Thanks,

Ard

Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice

All of my broken rods were done in by a car door, basically me being an idiot. Broken 2 rods this way, but at least they were cheapos. Started buying better rods since than, and putting them in cases, and no problems recently, knock on wood.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Those tubes are worth the weight in gold darn near JK, did you enter your data into the poll results? I really am looking to find the most popular or frequent method we use to bust our toys

Thanks,

Ard