The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floating line... WF or DT

I've cast WF lines of different configuration on all of my rods since around the mid 80's. Recently I purchased an older Martin 67SS-A reel on ebay to fit on a beautiful old Browning 'Silaflex' 7' 6" 5/6wt, the reel had a new (old stock) S&A Aircell DT 6wt line. After attaching a leader I took my new rig to the lawn for a tryout, didn't expect much from the short, old glass rod and DT line........Boy was I in for a surprise, short/mid range cast were an absolute joy, and it was hardly any effort at all to toss nice tight loops 75'-85'. Not sure if it was the older glass rod, the line, or maybe the combination of the two, but I look forward to actively fishing with this rig in the future.

As soon as the chance comes to put the DT line on a good graphite rod like my Loomis IMX 8' 6" 6wt to play around with I will, and if the line performs equal too, or better than it did on the old Silaflex, I'll be adding a few DT lines to the arsenal. Dependent on the fishing situation, there certainly can be advantages to the use of a Double Taper.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 01-05-2013, 06:01 PM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

4 Wt: DT
5 - 12 Wt: WF

TT
Old 01-06-2013, 02:08 AM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road

I always thought DT lines were old school and just for old guys, but I've realized how much a DT line can help if you are a dedicated nymph fisherman. Put that on a stiff rod and mend mend mend!!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM

ricksrods is on a distinguished road

I enjoy wf lines much better than dt any day of the week.Sometimes action of the rod has a lot to do with it.seems like fiberglass rods react muck better to dt lines. thanks rick
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

all wf for me as well although i do have a dt5 that im planning on trying on a new glass rod.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I have a preference for WF lines because 99% of my fishing is on lakes so mending the line is not necessary.

For flowing water conditions where mending is a necessity, I will most definitely use a DT line and maybe even use a larger size line for the situations where most of my casts will be short.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM

altos is on a distinguished road

WF... it simply works well.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

For most freshwater fishing I use a fiberglass rod with DT. I've the habit of having too much line in the air and DT seems to compensate. In addition, 70-75 feet is about as far as I generally want to send it.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

WF is all I use anymore.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM

sean_k is on a distinguished road

I tend to use WF more fequently however, DT lines have their place in my arsenal. I shy away from the super fast ubber cool rods that everyone seems to want these days so DT works fine.